Spring battle/demo?

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by Tugboat, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

For a completion/battling goal... who is going to the MWC Brouhaha on the Bayou in spring? I think Wade's pond is big enough for our purposes, and I well remember having a good wind coming across that wide open grassland next to it. I will be testing in Pooler, and scouting other locations near me for regular battles. But I'd like to get at least one more 1:48 scale ship on the water for a lunchtime demo sail (if not battle since some will not want to put goggles on for it). Alternatively, we could demo the sailing at lunch, and then could do battle on Monday before going home? (so as not to disturb people's lunches?)

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good idea ... and gives a deadline for incentive to finish a ship. :)

3. Tugboat

I'm home on my second (of 2) days of sick time for a pinched nerve in my foot. It's feeling better enough that I suspect that I'm going to sneak out to the shop and bring in Minerva and some balsa and super glue :) and maybe a saw. And a file. I need to get the hull ready for sheeting and get the masts prepped. Oh, I can cut the sails indoors if I get the masts done! I'll do the rudder this weekend. If I can get her seaworthy before college starts back up for the spring, I can use some of the ponds on campus for sailing tests...

So yes... a deadline always helps.

4. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Depth of pond? large ships could need large keels. Yes, I am considering building one and I think Gascan and Kotori will help (they expressed an interest in more build days). I will probably give it to them once it is done. I have alot of 1/4" ply that needs to be used, parts to make 4 cannons, and co2 system supplies. I gotta make my PDN my priority for now though.
    Das Butts

5. Tugboat

I'm planning on the bottom of the bulb keel being about 1 foot below the hull.

Wade's pond is about knee-deep most places, I think. I'll email him to find out. I know that the Pooler pond is deep enough when it's at normal water level. Got to test the Statesboro pond (which is deep enough) for adequate wind. But if we were able to sail the 1:100 Constitution in my pool, surrounded by trees and house, I imagine bigger sails and wider open spaces will give enough wind to battle, even if we're not speeding. If we got winds like last time that I went to Wade's, a frigate would easily outrun a powered ship if she runs before the wind.

Mike, you should definately finish your PDN before starting an AoS boat. I expect I'll schedule some sailing time with mine at one of the local powered battles this spring so you can get a feel for it.

6. buttsakauf

I was just gonna provide material and let "the brothers" run with it. I plan on just pitching in a helping hand. I might take one for a spin sometime, but I am partial to turrets and powered shafts;-)
    Das Butts

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'd love to have an armed sailing ship, but I also have an Invincible that needs work. Perhaps Carl can take lead on the AOS ship and I can work on Invincible.

8. Tugboat

Heh. Carl got a Scharnhorst hull over the weekend ;)

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Adunno, Clark, I may have to wait on that Scharnhorst. Sounds like everyone else is building square-riggers and I wouldn't want to fall behind. Mike's offer is tempting... very tempting... So Mike, is your garage open on Saturday? I think my 1:48 USS Constitution plans are there already. If not I will simply have to print them again.

10. Tugboat

OOooohhh... Constitution. Nice. For anyone interested, I got done scaling a set of HMS Surprise plans this afternooon :) She's small, in our rule set technically a station ship, but she'd be wicked fun to drive and battle.

11. buttsakauf

I have duty Saturday but should be out of there by lunch. If nothing else ya'll can head over and make yourselves at home. My wife will let you in no problem. I do have some of your plans there, I just don't know which ones. I will verify this evening.
    Das Butts

12. buttsakauf

The constitution plans are at my house. They are very nice! Pattern sets and everything!
    Das Bütts

13. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Sounds good. I've got the overnight watch, so I'll be sleeping in the morning, but we'll try to be there in the early afternoon or so.