Stinger motor amp draw

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by vicious p, Sep 7, 2010.

1. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone knows how many amps a stinger motor will draw on a full size BC pump at 6volts? Might be a shot in the dark, but i dont have a meter to test it on hand yet. thanks

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

about 13 amps under load, 5amps no load if I remember correctly.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

about 13 amps under load, 5amps no load if I remember correctly.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

My Stinger draws 19 amps under load, 1.5 amps no load measured with a DC clamp on amp meter.

5. vicious p

vicious p Well-Known Member

thank you sir's

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hey Dave, any word on the amp draw of the brushless pump you're doing for the PE, or is that not in testing as yet? I am VERY curious, given that AC motors are significantly more efficient than DC motors...

7. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

A couple of things I wonder about with brushless...
    How much per motor/esc $$$
    how do the motors react after water exposure? Does rust play a part in messing up the close tolerances between the parts?

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Although we've done limited testing, so far the motors are holding up ok. I ran a brushless drive system in the Erin for the first IRCWCC Nats battle on monday. So far, I haven't seen any corrosion at all. Of course, I do normal preventive maintenance after each day's batting, no matter if it is brushless or brushed.

We are finding out that cost is nearly as low (in some cases lower) than a brushed system. The Chinese made motors and esc's from companies like Turnigy are low cost and effective. The brushless pump system installed in the Erin only cost $55 for the motor and waterproof esc. the Erin's brushless drive system is slightly more, about $65 ish, due to a higher amperage esc that is actually overkill for application.

If someone is not into cleaning up and doing basic after battle maintenance on their ship, then brushless is nnot the way to go. For those that maintain their ships, the brushless setup is powerful and efficient.

9. djranier

I have not tried the pump setup yet. The motor ESC combo was $31 total, not including shipping. I purchased 4 sets and the shipping was $20. So my cost was $36 for a motor and ESC.

I plan on using them in cruisers, the ESC is 30 amps, $14.99, and the motor 2250 rpm was $15.99.

My test unit is a 100 amp, with a 2600 rpm per volt motor. Installed it in my PE, and you can see it has way more torque than the spped 500 brushed than I had in it. Will be using that setup in my Radzesky

10. Tugboat

I've got my account on that site set up to alert me when the 30A Boat ESC comes back in stock, but I have 2 brushless motors and 2 35A airplane ESCs to try on pumps, possibly on the CPOE cruiser. Per unit, the motor and aircraft ESC together were like $8. I am pretty convinced that brushless is superior (heavy AC motor bias in naval electricians), just the Chinese need to ramp up their production lines on the boat ESCs!!! :)

Dave, what did you do to match the 4 or 5 mm output shaft to your prop shaft? I had thought about building a mount and holding sandpaper on the shaft as the motor runs to get it down to 1/8", but you have a history of overcoming these things in ways I haven't thought of ;)

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I'm using 5mm shaft motors and buying 5mm pinions from the RC crawler web sites.

There are 1/8" shaft brushless motors on the market, mostly made for RC cars and trucks.

12. Tugboat

In shopping on Hobbyking, I found some likely motors with 3,4, or 5mm shafts. But if they have pinions made for 5mm shafts, that's convenient! Any particular sites, or just cruise through tower hobby looking? Or, where did you see brushless motors with 1/8" shafts? :)

13. djranier

Clark

I went with the 2250kv for the drive motor. Can't beat the $12 price. Heck 2 weeks ago they were $15.99.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6531&Product_Name=Turnigy_B36-40-09_2250kv_Inrunner.

I dont know which ESC you were looking at, but the ones I got show over 100+ in stock.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11742&Product_Name=HobbyKing_Brushless_Car_ESC_30A_w/_Reverse

I plan on mounting them in my lathe, then run the motor themselves, and cut the shaft down to 3.2 mm. If that does not work then I will do as Mike did, but it should work fine I think. Some of the motor's the customers have stated that with really high voltages, they are snapping the 5 mm shafts in their cars. I dont think we will have that issue, since they are running 80 to 100 amps in 1/10 scale.

14. Tugboat

Very good, David! I expect that we will not see the shaft-snapping issue wince we are turning props not tires :) If anything, I'd expect the prop to fly apart before a stainless steel shaft. But I am of the mindset that this (brushless) is the future.

Thanks for the link to the car ESC... 3 of them are on the way now, along with a programming card. Still planning to use the 35A aircraft ESC I already have to run the pump, just want to have a spare ESC for the drivetrain (and one for another cruiser).

15. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Just a hint, if you loiter on one product on the hobbyking site for a few minutes, you'll get a popup window offering you a discount.

16. djranier

Yep some items do that. We also found for some reason that I was getting a cheaper price quoted than Mike was. Were not sure why, but I'm listed as a Plat, and I think Mike was a gold after you logged into the site. Did you order the right programming card, I should of listed the proper one sorry.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9550&Product_Name=Hobby_King__Programming_Card_for_Car_ESC__

This one does the ESC's that I listed, any amperage. Again we are just trying these, they seem to work fine, but you never know. So don't blame Mike if you don't have success with these, LOL. Notice I did not mention myself.

Have fun guys, and be safe.

They are pushing actively caring safety policy at work, just practicing on you guys.

17. Tugboat

Ha! Like I told Rick, I blame only one person if (WHEN) something breaks on my boat - ME. 30A is more current than our motors are supposed to draw, in any case. If the ESC burns out, I've got 2 more as spares, and if those burn out, they were like $15 and I won't cry horribly. Might say a few bad words, then order more higher-rated ASCs that night :)