Stuffing box construction

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by rowboat captain, Oct 6, 2007.

1. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Hi guys,

I am trying to build my own stuffing boxs for my drive shafts and rudders. I am using 1/4 brass tubes and two other small tubes to make it down to the 1/8 drive shaft. I am trying to use sodder to join the tubes. I know how to sweet pipes but its not working forthe brass. what am I doing wrong ? do I need special sodder?

I rough up the tube and used flux.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are doing it right, sandpaper, flux, blow torch, and the same solder I use for all my electrical work, that combination has always worked for me.

Try cleaning both the inside and outside of the tubes with sandpaper, smear on a little bit of flux, insert the smaller tube into the larger one, hit it with the blowtorch till it gets nice and hot, apply solder and let the capillary action suck it into the joint. I normally do it so they end is telescoped and then once i'm all done just cut it so they are all flush with the trusty dremel. Make sure the areas to be joined area clean and make sure you're getting it hot enough, other than that from what you've said I cant think of anything to try differently

3. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

thanks, I have been using pipe solder, Will try electical solder.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

The other way is to get the right size brass tube and some oil impregnated bronze bushings and press them into the tubes...

5. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

There's a much easier way:

https://www.ntxbg.org/pgOnTheWays/pgStuffTube.htm

JM

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Warning: DO NOT SOLDER THE OIL-IMPREGNATED BRONZE BUSHINGS. THEY WILL BURN!!! Cyanoacrylic superglue (CA glue) works pretty well for that stuff, if you don't have the equipment for a press-fit.

Silver solder requires some very serious heat to use. Lead-based electrical solder is much nicer to work with. Just be sure to not breathe the fumes, because it's got vaporized lead in it that can lead to health problems later on.

7. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

thanks for the heads up.

8. norrab

norrab New Member

anyone have a source for the bearings where we can order them in small quantity?

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

the small parts company sells them in small quantities.

10. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

can you epoxy /ca the brass tubes together instead of solder?

11. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

You can.

12. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

You can CA them only if you want to be CAing them together every year. I've had two used ships guys did this on. It was a pain fixing them but they now are soldered together.
    You might be heating the brass too much. If it's too hot the flux will burn and the solder will roll into a ball. heat slow waving the flame around the brass not just on one spot. take the heat off when the flux starts to bubble. Try the solder, more heat, try solder until it melts. Go slow, use the thin solder, the big pipe stuff is for big pipes. If you are using a vise put wood on either side of the brass so the heat does not go into the vise.

13. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Some of the local hobby stores that stock parts for R/C cars will have bronze oilite bearings like these...