Sub

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Brandon_cd91, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Brandon_cd91

Brandon_cd91 New Member

anyone have any plans for a sub..

2. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Any particular sub you have in mind?

The French Naval Archives have several you can download for free, including Surcouf. I'll try to rember to post the link when I get home.

3. Brandon_cd91

Brandon_cd91 New Member

dont really care what one it is just interested in building one

4. tgdavies

tgdavies Active Member

I'd like to build this one day: http://dreadnoughtproject.org/plans/SM_Projekt_50_1918//tauchschiff_projekt_50_100dpi.jpg

5. Brandon_cd91

Brandon_cd91 New Member

oh god i wouldnt even know how to begin redesigning that i uguess i need to see someones who actually built one

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Odd. sort of a German version of the K-Class?

7. tgdavies

tgdavies Active Member

It's a bit bigger than the K class (about 128m if I'm interpreting the plans correctly), and more importantly it isn't insanely ugly :)

Unfortunately I don't think it was ever built, which rules it out for combat.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Have you built any combat ships? A sub is pretty tight. My I-400 is half the width of my cruisers, and shorter. Do-able, but only if you have 1)experience or 2)lots of money. Maybe both :)

9. Brandon_cd91

Brandon_cd91 New Member

ya i got 2 boats goin right now and im pretty skilled with the shop tools...just need to find some plans and look at how someone elses is laid out

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No, I mean experience building combat ships... I've got years (and even then there are guys with more than 20 years of battling!), and a sub is a challenge. Fitting the gas system and gun in amongst the motors and servos and the vertical axis controls, is tricky! If you want to tackle it, get some I400 plans, or Surcouf (free on the French Navy site). Those are #1 and #2 for size in WW2. The American USS Argonaut is close to Surcouf, also.

11. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I gotta agree with Tug here--the problem is not getting the hull made. The problem is getting everything to fit AND staying within weight. Destroyers are hard enough, adding dive capability is even harder.