Suggestion - up and down votes

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Jul 3, 2023.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

There are a number of complaints about bad info.

XenForo (which seems to be what we use) now has up/down voting. Can we upgrade to the latest version to unlock that feature?

Once we have down votes, it should be easier to tell what’s good information for newbies. We could even purge old/bad info.

Nibbles1, tgalx3 and diceman42 like this.
  2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

It would also really help if veterans posted more of their ships in the Stem to Stern section. I am guilty of not adding much, but being able to see a functioning boat and what's inside is a huge asset to newbies.

tgalx3 and JustinScott like this.
  3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

100%

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

So part of the issue is the bad info hiding in the good info.

The build thread for the Bearn CV for example. Amazing guide on how to build a wooden boat. Concrete sealer? Please lord, not again.

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Knowledge management on this forum could improve a lot. In the past I brought up the idea of having a post at the top of the build thread channel with completed builds, since a lot of warship build threads end up unfinished or hard for outsider to tell good from bad/outdated. I also started making the how to build a warship videos which have received some good feedback but I have a hard time prioritizing them.

maybe at the top of each section, a post could be maintained with key information on the subject, have someone knowledgeable and fairly frequent on the forum put it together and update as anything new comes out. A lot of time gets spent typing out answers to the same questions, just to get buried. Answers could be maintained by format to prevent ambiguity

I think up/down voting could get too snippy

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Upvote/downvote will help, but it's also important for active forum-users to post updates in their build threads. The Bearn CV build is an excellent example. An edit in the first post, pointing out what worked well (good wooden hull techniques) and what didn't (concrete sealer) is a fantastic update that would inform new captains. Also yes, more Stem to Stern posts. I certainly need to update the one about my little predreads.

NickMyers and JustinScott like this.