Supplier of Big Gun Cannons in Summer 2011

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by mabgfounder, Jun 27, 2011.

1. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Does anyone know of a supplier for Big Guns cannons in the USA? I've got people who want cannons but can not get them. I have one person who claims they would order cannons right now - today - if he could have them in July (he needs three 1/4" triples for a USS NJ due for completion in August) We have at least six other ships already under construction which will need cannons later this year. Plus we seem to be attacting a new member each meet. At this point I need to start turning people away from the hobby if a supplier does not materialize.
    Please don't tell me Strike Models as they have been 'close' to taking orders for over a year now. I trust they will sell them eventually but I need someone who can take orders now. We also have a meet in July that we expect a number of new potential members to attend - I would like to have an answer for them.

Thanks

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I recall hearing from someone who might have a couple cannons with 5.5" diameter magazines nearly complete. Kotori might have more recent information than I would, though. I'll mention it to him , but these cannons would only suffice for one boat. It's still not a long-term solution.

Last I heard from Strike (in March) he was focusing on getting fast-gun cannon production smoothed out before tackling some problems he was having with the big gun magazines. I've seen his cannon valves and magazines, and they are going to be magnificent pieces of work, but he was having trouble with a stepper motor on his CNC machine that was losing steps when cutting the magazine. I'm seeing more and more how lucky I was to have the WWCC right in my back yard, with many people capable of designing and making their own cannons, though nobody has yet sold them on a large scale. I think that the many takes on cannon construction from the different builders results in a fascinating evolution process as the builders get new machines and equipment and learn new techniques from each other.

3. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Thanks gascan. I spoke with Stephen just before the CA Maker Faire and he expected to be taking orders by NABGO. We will have to see. Kotori87 and I are corresponding privately also.