swampy guns

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by the frog, Apr 4, 2008.

1. the frog

the frog Member

In the MBG we allowed those who wanted to mount swampy guns as primary
    on dd's and cl's to mount one barrel and fire it 1,2,3,or 4 times fast depending on if the mount was a dual ,tripple or quad. The secondaries went the same way. So for mikeys rear 6 inch quads he could fire 4 times every 4 seconds per mount. As primary on a destroyer single mount it would be 1shot every 4 seconds or two shots every 4 secs if a dual mount. Due to the avialibity factor on bde canister guns I just assumed it would be the same case in BS. Am I correct

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hmm... I'd have to think about it, hear what others think.

While it does make building easier in some respects, it does imply some trade-offs. While the single shots will no do as much damage as multiple BBs hitting together, it does allow spray-and-pray aiming, making hits more likely. I would NOT want to be near a KGV using this method. Essentially he'd have one round per second from 2 of the main turrets, and 1 every 2 from the other main. Walking fire onto target becomes easy. I _might_ consider it for .177" and 1/8" cannons on destroyers, but absolutely not for bigger guns. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I want to hear what everyone else has to say.

As more people get into arming their ships, we will see more cannons (and cannon designs) become available. I will publish design info on mine when I get them working (in Tugboat's free stuff), but I'm sticking to hulls, turrets, and SS parts(for Artwerks). I've ordered the tubing from McMaster for my 7/32" closed-breech cannons, I'm sure others have started on theirs. If someone makes cannons and wants help setting up a site to sell them, advice is definately free :) It's not terribly hard to do, just takes time and a little money. I just don't have time to make cannons and hulls and other stuff, and still get my own boats built :)

3. the frog

the frog Member

I think you may have missed the part where i said dd's and cl's. This only applied to gun mounts primary or secondary that were under 6inch.The KGV would halve to use 7/32's

4. Tugboat

I didn't miss that part :) I saw the part where you referred to mikey's rear quads. Strasbourg is NOT a light cruiser.

Edit: Actually, Strasbourg isn't just not a light cruiser... the french refer to it as a battleship, Bâtiment de ligne, same as Jean Bart and Richie.

5. Mark

Mark Active Member

swampy guns?

6. the frog

the frog Member

I stand corrected. just 5 or 6inch on any ship.

7. Tugboat

Mark, 'Swampy guns' refers to normal O-ring breech BB cannons as used in fast gun combat (and as secondaries on my Nevada).

8. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

My main concern for this proposal is guaranteeing the rate of fire. It'd be real easy for someone to get extra shots in if you're firing a barrel every second with Swampy cannons. Those cannons are called 'fast gun' for a reason. ;-)

If we were going to allow this I'd probably like to see some kind of limited fire control timer on the thing to control it.

Carl

9. Tugboat

I've been looking at putting an interrupter on the solenoids to the guns... counts seconds from the last shot fired, and won't let a power signal from the switch to the solenoid until the shot timer clears. The prototype uses a variable resistor to change the time constant. I'll post an article when I'm happy with it.

Of course, people using servos to fire poppets won't really benefit from it :(

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

A picaxe 08M circuit should do the trick, as well. If the current and voltage to solenoids is low enough, then the picaxe could be used to directly trigger the solenoids, too, eliminating the need for a separate firing board.

11. the frog

the frog Member

In my club we assume everyone is honorable and honest until proven otherwise.That way we dont waste a lot of time legislating rules to [keep honest people honest quote]Originally posted by dietzer

My main concern for this proposal is guaranteeing the rate of fire. It'd be real easy for someone to get extra shots in if you're firing a barrel every second with Swampy cannons. Those cannons are called 'fast gun' for a reason. ;-)

If we were going to allow this I'd probably like to see some kind of limited fire control timer on the thing to control it.

Carl

[/quote]

12. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Even honest people are going to make mistakes, especially when you're trying to fire so often. Remember, you're also trying to control boat while trying to count and fire only once a second. This is harder to do than fast gun, which allows you to fire as fast as you can, or big gun, where you fire the whole turret only once every 2-3 seconds.

As Kotori87 pointed out, a simple and cheap pixaxe circuit would fit the bill nicely here.

Carl

13. the frog

the frog Member

Are the small cal guns once every 4 seconds or every 2 seconds.[Also we have been doing this in big gun with our secondaries on richelue and dunquirk for some time without any problems. You just blip 3 or four times then count to 4 then repeate]Originally posted by dietzer

Even honest people are going to make mistakes, especially when you're trying to fire so often. Remember, you're also trying to control boat while trying to count and fire only once a second. This is harder to do than fast gun, which allows you to fire as fast as you can, or big gun, where you fire the whole turret only once every 2-3 seconds.

As Kotori87 pointed out, a simple and cheap pixaxe circuit would fit the bill nicely here.

Carl

[/quote]

14. Tugboat

As far as honesty and the rate of fire... I'm more worried that _I_ will get it hosed up in the heat of battle and revert to my fast gun roots than I am that someone else will :) I'm working on the interrupters for MY boat to prevent that, not because I question anyone's honor or anything :)

15. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I would like to use an electronic interrupter/timer on my cannons. It will reduce my work load during the battle by a lot!