TD boards for bilge pump

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Gardengnome, May 16, 2010.

1. Gardengnome

Gardengnome Member

I have seen recently a Team Delta RCE200 used to activate a bilge pump instead of a micro switch and servo. It was on a 380 motor. Do you think it is possible to do something like that with a 540 or 550 motor out of curiousity? I saw jadfers VU used 4 RCE200, and a RCE210 and 220. I am not sure if he used one of the RCE200 for his bilge pump.

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

It really depends on what 540 or 550 motor you use on the bilge pump, its possible if you pick the right motor. Most people use the RCE210 for the pump motor since it can handle the high current pump motors that most people use. But if you have a pump motor that draws less than 10 amps there isnt any reason a RCE200H couldn't be used.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

No it doenst handle enough current. They make a switch like it that is 24amps for that purpose.

4. wrenow

wrenow RIP

And, remeber, if something jams the impeller or corrosion sets in, a 550 can draw over 85A (yes, eighty-five) according to the manufacturer's spec sheet.
    Amnother thought that works well for me - an inexpensive ESC. Some of the aircraft-type, forwards only, ESCs are uite compact and very reasonably priced. Take the shrinkwrap off, scotchkote, and re-shrinkwrap and you are donw. For smaller pumpsm I have found aircraft ESCs for substantially cheaper than the Team Delta switch. Plusm it gives you more of a soft start with many ESCs, which may help with vapor lock. Also, if you have it on a proportional channel, you can throttle the pump back and ease it back up to deal with vapor lock,
    Of course all ESC techniques/caveats apply. If you are not familiar - read both the article on ESCs "ESCs: Lessons Learned" on the NTXBG knowledgebase and the manufacturer's instructions. KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THE RED WIRE! and, of course size it to the motor draw properly.
    Cheers,

5. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

Actually, you can use a RCE200 TD board, but you have to think out of the box with it. In the past I used RCE200 for Guns, RCE210 for pump and the RCE 220 for drive. But that gets expensive quick for keeping spares. So, I standaradized on RCE 200 and use three ($2) relays (2 for Drive and one for pump). So now if a motor locks up and "welds" a relay, it only costs $2 instead of $30+ and takes about 5 minutes or less to replace.

Rob
    PS: I've burnt out (2) Johnson 550 motors and the relays are still kicking. :)

6. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Hey Rob,

Yes I still use your idea that is in the Tirpitz and run the relay's with a firing board. Though I have not found the relays for $2 more like $4 but it is still cheaper than puying the 24amp Team Delta switch. I do like the fact that if either the board OR the relay goes out I dont have to replace both I can replace one or the other.

I tried the 6V relays but they dont work as well as they require minimum 6V to operate so if the battery runs low then they start clicking (the problem I had before) and stop working.

I am going back to the 5V versions and running them off the voltage regulator to be sure I always have the 5V they need.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

Johnny

7. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

NOTE:

I have two radio boxes, one with a Team delta pump switch (RCE210), a TD throttle (RCE220), and 4 TD Firing boards (RCE200 9amps), and a VReg that I switch out with my new radio box that uses a banebots ESC for throttle, 2 of my new dual channel firing boards, another firing board for the pump relay that I keep outside the radio box and soon a Vreg.

Johnny

8. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

Mouser Electronics
    PN# 893-832AWP1CFS5VDC
    Cost: $2.85 (used to be $2.35)
    These are the 5VDC Relays that I use now

9. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I like those connectors so much better. Those little pins are so hard to work with. I was considering having circuit boards made so that I could simplify the mounting and connecting of the unit.

Thanks again for the help.