Team Delta switches

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Lou, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Having issues with the new delta boards from BC. Trying to trouble shoot to see what is going on.
    Basically the led lights are blinking, and when I move the stick on the transmitter the light goes solid. This should mean that the switch is working, problem is the KIP is not activating. This has happened on a dual TD switch, one side would work and the other side does not (even though the lights are good). Not sure what happened, everything was good two nights ago.
    Wires seem to be ok, diodes are not melted, nothing looks damaged on the boards, KIPs are working on another boat so they are not the issue.
    Any ideas on how to trouble shoot?

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Sorry you’re having trouble with it.

If the LEDs are doing the right thing yet the solenoid isn’t firing most likely the Solid State Relay (SSR) died. You can check it by using a multimeter to check for continuity across the contacts where you solder the solenoid wires. If you get continuity there then then problem is the solenoid, if you don’t than the SSR is most likely fried. (It could be the microcontroller but they are pretty rock solid compared to SSRs and you probably need a logic probe to really debug that, I don’t think a multimeter will do it right, atleast mine doesn’t.)

Over current/short circuits, no diode/diode hooked up wrong are probably the two biggest culprits in frying SSRs in our hobby. Reversed voltage from the battery is another thing to watch out for.

The SSRs are replaceable if you don’t mind a little desoldering. Search “AQV252G” for replacements, you can get them from a bunch of places. I haven’t tried using the SSR that is on the TD boards on these boards but I did a quick check of the spec sheet for them and they look like they should work if you have them already. Again I’ve never tried it so I can’t say for sure that the TD SSRs will work.

3. Lou

Could I visually tell if it is fried?

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Not unless it is REALLY bad.

5. Lou

Ok, going to meet with Krack-House tomorrow to see where the issue is in the rig