Tearing down a Kip Solenoid

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by tsolson55, Apr 23, 2010.

1. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Hey All,
    Does anybody know of a website or have access to a diagram of how to take apart Kip 6v Solenoids, I have one that's developed a leak and I need to tear it apart.
    Thanks

2. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Get two plyers. Take off the hoses or accumulation tank. Hold the bottom of the solenoid with one plyers. Hold the top just under the wires and turn the bottom off. It is possible to unscrew the top without getting the bottom off. If that happens try again. You can see the seam between the bottom and the top pretty easy.
    Your leak probibly comes from a small peice of copper shaving that was in an accumulator tank. I've had that happen. If there is a cut in the plunger you can order a new one from Deltmer Sales. A link in on the PPB web site.

3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Or take the top nut off, the coil assembly comes right off then. Hold the base and use a large flat head screwdriver and unscrew the center assembly. The piston will be inside of that. :)

Sometimes the center rubber peice on the piston will also become so depressed that it will also cause a leak, or not open and close properly. Rick at BC also carries the replacement pistons.

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

DEJAVU!!!!!!

5. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Thanks Bob and David, I've taken the top nut off before but had trouble getting anything loose. I just didn't want to force it.
    Thanks again

6. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to say thanks again, I did get the solenoid apart. It seemed that it would take to long to get another center piece, it did have a dent in it, I pulled it out and turned it around. We pressed it back in and as of last weekend it was working great. It lasted a day of battling anyway. I still need to order a couple more anyway.
    Thanks again