The ship for me

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by gunner250, Aug 31, 2014.

1. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

Originally I wanted the missouri but now I have been thinking.I now want somthing small and fast possibly a torpedo cruiser or a destroyer.Just somthing fast.

(THIS IS FOR BIG GUN)

2. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hi Nick,

Are you asking for help on deciding what ship to build, or just making a statement?

If you're wanting help, it'll help us to have a little more information. What kind of tools do you have access to? What experience do you have with building models? With building ships in particular? What type of electronics knowledge do you have? Do you have anyone nearby who can help serve as a mentor, or are you in this on your own?

The experience and support you have will help with figuring out what ship is best for you. The little ones are fast, but they can also be difficult as a first build, since there's a lot to fit in there and not much weight or displacement to play with.

Will you be arming the ship right away, or waiting?

3. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

deciding and been looking around and expanding my ideas and looking at pros and cons. Also I have been looking at dremels probly would help to know what tools I need.I my self do not have very much elctric experiance in rc's but my brother has a little.and I am alone where I am at.I would say the closest Big gun club is in Texes.And personaly I'd rather nhave the guns soon on the ship.

4. KeriMorgret

Forgot one other question: what is your budget?

5. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

In the long haul prolly $500 - $600 spread over many years because i don't have a job yet and got about 6 month before i get one and it would be a part time one.Soo yeaaahhh. (Not 16 yet)

6. KeriMorgret

And that budget is also for any tools you need too, right?

7. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

well over time i could buy the tools that price is on the ship

8. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

I would stay away from small ships at first, I think fastgun people recommend class 3 ships as rookie ships, in Treaty we recommend a Battleship for its ease of build and ample space, big gun is probubly more in line with the Treaty frame of mind, a torpedo cruiser in big gun probubly is the cheapest combat ship you can get into, might not be as easy to outfit do to weight considerations. I'd look for something second hand, odds are your first ship will not be the last ship you get into, a second hand ship will get you on the water quicker and probably a little cheaper than building a new ship. If you must build the ship yourself, the wooden template plans sold by strike models are perfect for building your own hull. you can save a lot of money this way, building a ship could be as little as 50 dollars for wood, and sealer. If the selection does not suit you, one of the wooden kits is your next best alternative for cost effective ship getting into... Not that the fine hulls the various venders sell in fiberglass are bad, but you are more likly to build a hull successfully out of wood than building your own cannons. Pick your battles, remember perfection is the enemy of good enough, if you pick a hull that is relatively simple, with few or any stringers, and the ship is large enough to use batteries that are also cost effective, doing things like mag throttles with an 8$ standard servo can shave off the cost of the ESC, or you can try using an ESC from hobbyking, but I prefer a Mag throttle built myself over a cheap ESC that may not have all the functions the higher end ESC's have, there are many tips on building a budget ship. Odds are if you contact the nearest club, someone has something to get you into.

9. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

The thing is the nearest big gun club is to far to drive.There is no big gun club near me as far as I know.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Also, at 15 years old, you'll need at least one parent involved, at least to the extent of signing permission forms and driving you to battles.

gunner250 likes this.
  11. KeriMorgret

Why the decision of big gun over fast gun?

12. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

i myself don't like how the ships act.There like speed boats with thin armor and machine guns.And pumps that look like the could drain a ocean in a week.(Exaggeration)They also look like they could sink in a instant by how low in the water they sit.

13. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

only a small ocean. not a big one.

and largely not machine guns, more like Jerry Miculek with a very extended magazine?

Freeboard is determined primarily by the original ship, not a fast-gun vs big-gun distinction unless there is some big-gun rule that doesn't allow running at Max displacement.

Knife-fighting in a phonebooth isn't for everyone. Some folk prefer a more formal court dance.

14. Tugboat

Gunner... how many battles have you been to in person?

15. KeriMorgret

Does Big Gun versus Fast Gun make much of a difference when it's just one boat?

16. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

I have seen some big gun videos and fast gun and i prefer big gun. plus rotating turrets.

17. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You can have rotating turret(s) in fastgun (rules vary), but they aren't made very often. Do you have the special equipment needed to make big gun cannons as well as the financial backing to do so?

18. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

not yet thats why I have been planing.

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

[​IMG]
    Good way to pass the time

Beaver and Tugboat like this.
  20. Tugboat

Nick, you win one internet. Outstanding :)

Gunner, if that's what you think then I wish you great luck in starting your own big gun club with no money, no tools, no boat, and no experience. Have fun! :) :)