Throttle Issue on Kirishima

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by absolutek, Aug 21, 2010.

1. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Guys I have a problem with the Kirishima (OAF Club Boat) that I am using. Last battle, the throttle died (boat went dead in the water). I have checked the wiring, thinking that may have been the problem. But it checks out, I am reading voltage increasing (DMM probes accross motor terminals) when I increase the throttle on my radio, but the motors won't turn. So I tried hooking up one of the spare 550's I got with the Kirishima's toolkit, and even the new motor would not turn nor was increasing voltage present with the load attached.
    The boat has proboat ESC, dual 550's running off two 6V batteries in parallel.

Any ideas what the problem might be?
    Please help, I have a battle tomorrow :(
    --Chase

2. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

sounds like speed controller, bypass it and if it works without speed controller, mag switch it for now...
    a servo in the esc channel will tell you if the proboat is getting signal or not

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Although it may be too late by now, check the servo wire connector. They tend to sometimes corrode. Also, the battery connection might have just enough corrosion or be loose enough to power the radio but not turn the motors. Actually, that has happened to be more than once. The fix was simply bending out the thin tabs on the Deans connector and cleaning up the pins with contact cleaner to get a better connection.

4. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Turns out it was the wiring. I think corrosion over years of use, and poor connections was the main issue. I ended up redoing all the solder joints & connections and it works fine now.

--Chase