Tirpitz build thread

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

This is my official Tirpitz shipbuilding status thread :) I will not be posting on any projects other than Tirpitz here.

Status as of 11AM 10APR07 is: plans have been enlarged and I now have 28 copies of the hull frames diagram. She's gonna be a BIIIIIIG girl. Almost 15" wide, just over 8 and a half feet long, drawing 4" of water at the keel.

Plan is that the hull will be a light wood frame reinforced with some form of composite. I'll let you know which composite after I do some pricing at Aircraft Spruce & Specialty.

[​IMG]

I _do_ plan on making use of microprocessors for turret control, and arming all secondaries (and torpedo tubes).

Electrics will be 12V, probably 54-72AH worth of batteries, if only to get her to weight and guarantee hours and hours of pumping :)

Props will be scale 2" diameter, hopefully 5-blade.

Next post will hopefully be a report on frames being cut (even though I'm getting ready to move).

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

STATUS AS OF 1700EST 27APR2007:

The official cutting of ribs has begun! I have paper cutouts for the center 60% of the ship, which will be pasted to cardboard tonite, and cutting will begin. The 8' long 1"x1" 90 degree aluminum "keel" will hold them while I attach the thin ply for the hull form. I'll post a pic shortly.