To bad ramming is not allowed!

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by SteveT44, Nov 3, 2011.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

The USS Katahdin, Armored Ram 1899
    A militarized version of the Whaleback Freighter concept!
    [​IMG]

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

HMS Polyphemus was a similar concept, but i think that Katahadin was cooler looking.

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Yeh, but HMS Polyphemus could ram you, then fire a torpedo directly inside your hull.
    Out of the end of her very nasty looking ram. That's pure evil genius at work right there folks.

4. Anachronus

I always wondered how well that would work in practice. It seems to me that the act of ramming would probably damage the torpedo tube so badly as to make firing it a bad idea.

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Or she could torpedo you, and then hit you with the ram in the same spot, would cut most cruisers clear in half.

Niiice.

6. Anachronus

That would work.

7. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I am of the personal opinion that if a vessels primary weapon was the function of being a ram, then let it ram. You just have to give it a speed handicap.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If that was allowed, I'd want the ram ships to get their original speed. Most of them were really slow compared with the ships most of us will be building. But I don't want to allow ram ships. It gets messy quick in a game where we limit pump capacity. Remove pump capacity limits and I'm cool with ram ships :) I have some 6" diameter, 5" thick 24V Kollmorgen motors that would make NICE pump motors :)

9. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

I too, dislike the idea of battle rams. I can see a fast battleship being lost forever is a deep section of a pond and possible membership disputes arising. That is still a possibility (sinking deep), but a ram has the potential of a near instantaneous sink under the right conditions. Granted, it would be amusing to see the USS Katahadin stuck in the side of Matt's H-39 and being dragged about.

10. Anachronus

As most of them maxed out at about 16 knots historically, I can't see them being much of a threat.
    If you want to build one however, I will support you.

11. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Losing one of these behemoths that seem to be the current rage in 20' of water sounds challenging to say the least. Any strategies being kicked about for deep water recovery? Maybe inflatable ballast tanks or bladders?
    http://www.caswellplating.com...dders.html

12. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Not to get too far off topic ...

Bladders and the like for recovery of the big ships that may weigh upwards of 250+ pounds when loaded with water should work well if designed correctly. Admittedly, it wasn't a method I considered. Me being the over-engineer type was thinking of a pontooned framework with a simple hand operated winch on it. Each ship would have a solidly mounted ring or eyelet to hook the winch to. Just winch the ship up to the surface (not out of the water, just below the surface) and tow it to shore where enough people will be available to help empty and move the ship onto shore.
    A side benefit to a pontoon frame is something for swimmers to grab on to when conducting recovery operations in deep water.

13. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

I've been giving some thought to making a boat lift to get these behemoths into and out of the water w/o killing peoples backs. It, too, would use a winch, and have a boat stand hooked onto sort of an elevator assembly. I'll try to draw that up soon. It would need to either be staked into the ground or employ a large water tank as a weight to keep it from tipping over...

Carl