Travel Trailer Project

Discussion in 'General' started by tgalx3, Jun 30, 2023.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I guess this as good of place as any to put this project.

I am repurposing my trailer to be a travel trailer for my fleet. I hope to go visit the Cali boys and make my way out to NATS while bringing everything with me.

I laid the first steps today, literally. I put wood steps in the trailer that will be on hinges. The steps fold down when you open the door.

What I want in it:
    Ship Rack
    Work Bench
    Tools
    Spare parts
    CO2 (maybe)
    small compressor
    proper lighting
    generator to power it all (as needed)

I hope to share my progress a long the way. I'll post more pictures tomorrow when I get the hinges installed on the steps.

...no you can't talk me out of it. IMG_1025.jpg

bsgkid117 and notSoGnarly like this.
  2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Shit... I was trying to figure out what type of ship would fit in my suitcase for next year…

Either way! Looking forward to seeing what you do inside!

…also prank calling you.

3. Huru MorDae

Huru MorDae Active Member

I considered doing one myself but I am a ways off, Need a Tacoma first

tgalx3 likes this.
  4. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

All that info is dead. I'm curious if anyone picked up that google voice number. lol!

JustinScott likes this.
  5. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

C88B6BDE-6C9D-41C4-BA9D-7189F042AE75.jpeg I have a trailer for my boat stuff it is getting an upgrade due to me now having a three more ships but I have to shelves on the sides that hold the Carriers I built for the two boats I had at the time.
    I also added two booked in the nose for table and chairs and have a spot for my tool boxes and such. It’s smaller than yours as it is a 4x6 but it gets the job done.

bsgkid117 and notSoGnarly like this.
  6. notSoGnarly

notSoGnarly Well-Known Member

Anvil_x, bsgkid117 and tgalx3 like this.
  7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

That still looks like a nice set up though. If it gets the job done. How tall is it? I can't decide if I want the work bench height to be at height of standing or sitting.

8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Make it standing. Sitting down and staring at boat, not accomplishing anything, is where I lose all my efficiency lol

Lou and notSoGnarly like this.
  9. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Standing height 100%. You can get a tall stool and sit at a standing height workbench, but it's mega annoying to stand at a sitting height workbench.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  10. notSoGnarly

I triple down what the last two said.
    Standing.
    I got the 36" BORA and I'm probably going to put it on blocks. I want it taller.

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I wish my workbench at home was taller. It's already on blocks and still isn't tall enough. Literally a pain in my back.

Gascan and I are looking at adding boat racks to his truck. He's already got the nice shell on the back, and it's incredible how much you can fit there with a little careful packing. You've seen the photos of what I fit in my Honda Fit, and the truck has even more room. But right now it's like a Lunatic-difficulty Tetris game to pack and unpack everything needed for a major event. Adding shelves for boats, toolboxes, etc. will make packing/unpacking easier, and transportation itself safer. If anyone else has done this, would you care to share pics? I'd like to know what to do or what not to do.

That's an interesting compressor there. How loud is it? I'm often doing cannon testing late in the evening, so have to be considerate of the neighbors. The compressor I use is quiet enough that it isn't audible outside when the garage door is closed, but it only goes up to 120PSI. I'm also curious, is 150PSI the rated shutoff pressure, or is the compressor able to maintain a constant 150PSI output from the regulator?

12. Justin Ragucci

Justin Ragucci Well-Known Member

It’s is really only 4 feet tall so no standing in it I am 5’7” and I have to crouch to get in and out of it. It is solely for transporting a lot of boats if my family decides to come with me to a local battle. The boats held up great in the carriers all the way to VA and back two years ago! But yes standing 100% is the way to go

13. notSoGnarly

My solution for a taller surface was to e6000 some rubber nonstick (like for under rugs) to the top and bottom of a set of bed risers (the $10 ones everyone buys for a dorm room).
    My boat has a custom "dock" board that it straps to for transport/working. So the board sits on the bed risers.

14. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Checkout what model railroading clubs do for adjusting the height of each module. I started to build a couple modules before I committed 100% to RC naval combat. Its a simple system and pretty cheap. In summary, it just uses a bolt and some kind of nut that you insert into the leg (dont remember the name) and you can adjust the height. I was planning on the same thing for the stairs on the trailer to account for uneven ground.

notSoGnarly likes this.
  15. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

UPDATE:

Got the steps installed today. They are NICE. There is a hinge on each corner and they fold up into the trailer so the door can close properly. Just need to remember to watch my head getting in. I can stand up in the trailer but that door frame is a real doozy on the top of my head...

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Update: 7/31/23

Stairs are in and properly finished. I added lag bolts with a Tee nut to adjust for different heights of the trailer so that it doesn't put a lot of stress on the hinges.

I am extremely happy with how the work bench turned out. It should give 2 captains plenty of space to work on boats or smaller parts.

I'm going to work on the ship holding rack next. That will be mounted to the wall in front of the work bench. On the passengers side of the trailer. I'm planning on the rack holding about 10 ships.

IMG_1088.JPEG IMG_1087.JPEG

17. lee_d1200@yahoo.com

lee_d1200@yahoo.com New Member

Look up rc pit trailers on facebook they have been doing it for years and have great ideas. I hope this helps

tgalx3 and diceman42 like this.