Tugboat's free stuff: FS Surcouf 1/96

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Tugboat, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

[​IMG]

I've posted plans for the French cruiser Submarine Surcouf in 1/96 scale in the file manager, in the Tugboat/Free Ship Plans folder. I'm particularly happy with the file containing pics and my research notes. So if I don't see some Froggy submarine goodness on the water sometime soon, I'll feel very disappointed :(

I'll get the 1/144 version up sometime soon.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

how's it going tugboat! Give me a call sometime, its been too long.

-Greg

3. Tugboat

Will do! Probably late afternoon my time on Sunday. Got some new goodies from Mikey :) And a big surprise coming in February!

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I wonder what the big suprise is, can we all make guesses?

5. Tugboat

You can, but if you've been talking with Rick, then you guessing would probably be cheating :)

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Ok, I will not say anything. [:D] We have been having build sessions just about every weekend for the last 6 weeks I think at Rick's, so I actually have seen it, I would guess. But alot of stuff goes in and out for orders and such, so who knows.

7. Tugboat

You've probably seen it :) Something that big would be hard to miss ;)

For everyone who hasn't seen it... suffice to say it will make good on one of my promises in 1/144.

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

notes. So if I don't see some Froggy submarine goodness on the water sometime soon, I'll feel very disappointed :(
    [/quote]

I've got your Froggy submarine goodness right here!
    Ouch, that's gotta hurt!
    [​IMG]

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Woot! Nice job, Man!

Do they print 1 to 1? Or do we have to get the printers to reduce the plans?

Yes, I dream of building one of these for 1/96 and 1/144. :)

10. Tugboat

They are scaled to within .01" of actual 1/96 size. So take the files to your favorite printer and get a set :)

11. donanton

donanton Member

Are there any videos of subs in action besides that big gun movie on youtube?

12. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well Donanton, there are definitely more videos of subs in action. However, it's still videos of the same subs... One of the people in the WWCC is going through the past 20 years of VCR tapes and converting them all to DVD. There's probably a hundred or more hours of footage there, including some very famous (in my club) submarine action.

The single most glorious moment in combat submarine history was when an I-400 and a Surcouf sandwiched and sank either a SoDak or an Iowa (eyewitness reports disagree on the identity of the victim ship). I hope the tape of that incident still exists because it'd make a great addition to my next video.

13. Mark

Mark Active Member

and hopefully we can add to the # of active subs in the hobby with some new footage

14. Briar

Briar New Member

Woooow. I said I would buy the Surcouf from (I can't remember his name), once I joined the WWCC. I also hope to build the Deutschland cargo sub (It may be really hard, though), and maybe an Atlanta or something.

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Ben, subs are awesome but speaking for experience they can be a real pain in the.... ehem rear end if you do not know what your doing. I havent build a fighting one but I did build a 3' one and lets just say it met with the bottom of the pool and liked it down there a little to much. :( Add the difficulty of subs with the difficulty of not having space and I can only imagine the nightmare it COULD be. I would love one of these but building one myself is just scary haha good luck

16. Briar

Briar New Member

Yeah, thanks. I hope to build the Deutschland normally like a normal boat, than seal the top deck and add a lot of weights and bow planes. I wanted to put syringe ballast tanks in the Surcouf when I get it, but I'll have to see how much more room there is.