USS Constitution

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by Kotori87, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I spent a long time on Saturday discussing my plans with Gascan and Das Bütts. We compared the USS Constitution to a 28-gun Austrian frigate that Das Bütts found. The differences between the ships were incredible. It really highlighted how advanced the Constitution was for her time. We considered starting construction on one Constitution right there, using the wood Das Bütts offered me earlier. But Gascan spoke up and said he would love one as well. So I have decided to make a laser-cut kit for the USS Constitution.
    It may take a while to do. I don't know what software to use, and it's been such a long time since I've used CAD that I may have to re-learn from the beginning again. If anyone wants to join in this endeavor with Gascan and me, I would be most appreciative.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm using Delftship free, and Alibre Pro (which I paid for) for my project. I'm glad you're doing Old Ironsides; I'm not sure what I'm looking at for laser cutting; maybe a more precisely-cut Minerva (Magicienne class, which had members serve on both sides of the Channel, sometimes switching sides 2 or more times in their careers), or something smaller like HMS Surprise. I'd love to see a laser-cut 1st-Rate like Santissima Trinidad, Montebello, ot Victory, but a smaller ship (like Connie, Minerva, or Surprise) is the right answer for a first effort for me.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

rcengr pointed me to Fox Lite, the company that does his laser cutting. He also gave me a few tips. I just installed Alibre Free but it's gonna be a while before I post any attempts or results, since I'm heading home for the holidays in a couple days and not bringing my desktop with me. I should start work on the project in January, though.

4. Tugboat

If you do your work in Alibre Free, and need features from Alibre Pro down the road, it would be simple enough for you to use my computer here at a build session :)

5. Tugboat

EDIT: I bought a really good book on using Alibre from Ron Hunt, who works for Alibre as a consultant and knows the software pretty well. Website link is:

http://www.learn3dcad.com/