USS Langley - IRCWCC Convoy

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Beaver, Jul 20, 2024.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

This is a quick build thread for the USS Langley I built at NATS this year. I designed the hull body for her earlier this year and Will fleshed her out for South Jersey Shipyards. I took delivery of the hull Saturday of nats. Within an hour I had the hull glued together.
    PXL_20240623_020214825.jpg
    Work on her continued Mon-Tues with the majority of the build completed Wednesday in prep for Thursday campaign. Overall, she went together very easily. I had to borrow some tools that I neglected to bring with me, mainly drill, bits, and dremel, but with those and some determination she could be a weekend build.

PXL_20240627_022547201.jpg
    Looking at internal placement. Battery in the bow to balance out the heavy stern. The one thing I would change about the boat is going from a geared drive to direct. I've spoken to Will about it but I don't know if it will change. The geared drive works well but it's a bit fiddly to put together with the gearbox being under the crossmember. It's also a lot of extra complexity and parts for a simple convoy. Anywho..

The old covered wagon is coming together. Working on the bench status here. Flight deck is foam board (not recommended) held on with magnets.
    PXL_20240627_000653501.jpg

And on the water Thursday morning for speed check. She ran well, turned ok, and looked great!
    PXL_20240627_154311389.jpg

She did ok during campaign. She sank almost every run but I think that had more to do with the drivers (need to avoid stern guns lol) than the ship itself. I got to take her out for the last convoy run of nats and made a successful run. Was very pleased. I will be pimping her out for next year. Hopefully have a few biplanes on the deck.
    Overall, great boat. Will did a good job designing her and she went together (relatively) painless. There were a few suggestions I passed onto Will to make V2 even better but it was all minor. I look forward to running her next year.

WillCover, Nateseadog, tgalx3 and 6 others like this.
  2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

It was extraordinarily fun to watch this boat go from a pile of parts on Sunday to shooting at it on the water on Thursday.

Well done @Beaver and @bsgkid117