USS Maryland

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Superarp, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Superarp

Superarp Member

What do you guys think of the maryland as a big gun ship? It is somewhat slow, but I think i can get all the turrets to turn due to its width. Its got 8 16 inch and 1/8th armor.

Thanks
    :ermm:

2. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I think the Maryland class and her sisters are great.now I am not in big gun so I cannot say to their rules I am with the Buckeye Battle Squadron and we do a fast gun format. I had the USS California for my first battleship and I really liked it .I have run a South Dakota the last few years and I am thinking about buying a California hull or building one.

diceman42 likes this.
  3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

As a Big Gun battleship, the Maryland is decent, but nothing spectacular. She's not too big (33,000 tons) and not too heavily armed (8x 1/4" guns in four twin turrets) and not very fast (minimum speed in all Big Gun formats). Warspite and Baden will outperform her in the slow battleship category, and she isn't fast enough to compete in the fast battleship category. If you want a nice, slow inter-war US battleship, look at her sequel, the 1920 South Dakota class. Similar hull (although bigger) and similar speed, but 12x 1/4" guns in four triple turrets represents much greater firepower for your efforts. South Dakota and her sisters were laid down but cancelled by the Washington Naval Treaty, so you should check if your local Big Gun club allows her.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Dakota_class_battleship_%281920%29

4. Superarp

Superarp Member

Well, decent but not spectacular is what i need. plus, this is my first ship, and the gedunk stand has plans with ribs mapped out. does any1 know how to build the cage masts?

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

The Maryland class is a pretty nice boat for big-gun.
    Smaller, slower, and more expensive, than say a South Dakota, because of the additional turret. But lots of fire-power.
    In general.. I think it would depend on what you are going up against.
    Mikey

6. Superarp

Superarp Member

WEll, so far im not against any1................... anyone know any battlers around chicago?????

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

JP lives in Chicago and battles with the Port Polar Bear guys. I think he's on the north side, a Cubs fan... He does check out this forum sometimes, but not all the time.
    There are a couple other guys in the area two, but my list of e-mails is at work.
    Send me a note off line and I'll send you their contact info.

8. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

For cage masts try this

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/cagemast3qe.jpg/

9. Superarp

Superarp Member