USS North Carolina Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tracker, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Hello everyone, this is the build thread for my second boat, the USS North Carolina. As with any good rookie, we begin building a second boat before the first is even fully finished. My goal for this boat is to make it the most modern tech NC on the water in the North-east region, within reasonable cost of course (Shouldn't be hard when there are only a handful of old ones around). I am aiming to get the boat at least combat ready by NATs, just in time to sink to all the Nagatos.

And what everybody has been waiting for, pictures!
    20160118_084303.jpg
    The hull belonged to Terry, bought it from him where Barry kindly ferried it back from the SE regionals last year. Then it lived in Long Island for a few months until I finally managed to bring it back down to NJ. This image was from last Monday. You can see my Des Moines right behind the NC hull. It's long! And still pink with an unfinished super. Steve claimed he'd call me pinky if I don't get it painted before my next battle. We'll see...

20160122_142843.jpg This was earlier today. Finally cleaned off the table and got in some supplies from Amazon. Quite cold as we're expecting snow soon in Jersey. You can see the West Systems epoxy still in their bags. Probably have enough there to last me for a dozen boats or so.

20160122_142854.jpg Terry did a great job with the hull. All the windows are cut and even better the decks and skegs are already installed. Wasn't expecting the added bonus. Seems like he did some work on it since his sale thread. As Barry had pointed out to me, the angle on the skegs may not be ideal (pointing out instead of in). I'm not sure and any help on the orientation would be appropriated. But will most likely just leave them alone.

20160122_142907.jpg As mentioned before, the main and sub decks are beautifully installed. Only real issue before I start an major work is that the ribs are a bit thin. So got some 1/4 * 1/8 strips of Basswood that I'm going to use to reinforce the ribs before I do anything. Only... It's cold. So that'll have to wait for another day.

As I said earlier, my goal for this boat is to get it as modern as possible. So I plan on having brushless motors for both drive and pump. Any suggestions? Also an ESC that'll handle all that? As for batteries thinking about LiFes though not sure as to which exact ones. As I'm only a college student at the moment I'd rather not spring for high end equipment, but at the same time I don't mind Thanks for reading and any help/advice !

2. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

I would fix it if it were me. I can't prove it, but I believe that angled in helps with maneuverability. Also helps with internal placement. Get those drive motors out wide, and you can place the pump between them. Fiberglass if fairly forgiving to cutting up and patching. IMG_0384.JPG Skeg2.JPG

3. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Get them angled out, will help with turning. Also, get the shafts a level with the bottom of the boat as possible. If you have too much down angle, you will lose the thrust over the rudders.

4. Lou

Here's what I am talking about (from my QE build)
    [​IMG]

5. Lou

Angle the shafts. Dont be afraid to sand off the bottom of the gearbox, or better yet cut out the hull and drop it in and then sand. I can help you use that West Epoxy.
    [​IMG]

6. Lou

Gearbox cut through the hull. Use putty around all the pieces, then sand.
    [​IMG]

7. Lou

Sand the boxes down until you are almost all the way through to the gears. Then use some fiberglass cloth and epoxy and smooth it all out. Now you have big sexy bottom (of boat). Nothing stopping the water and just small bumps where no one can see them.
    [​IMG]

Nick Park likes this.
  8. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

9. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

Clothes Pin Clamps3.JPG

Cheap trick #1
    CLOTHESPINS

These can be configured in an amazing array of configurations to make clamps for almost any occasion. Buy a pack of 100 for about $5. You can glue and clamp most of your ribs at the same time. Glad to see you working on it Andy. What do you mean cold? BTW West System likes the temp to be above 60 degrees :)
    Barry

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Nick Park likes this.
  10. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

"As I said earlier, my goal for this boat is to get it as modern as possible. So I plan on having brushless motors for both drive and pump. Any suggestions? Also an ESC that'll handle all that? As for batteries thinking about LiFes though not sure as to which exact ones. As I'm only a college student at the moment I'd rather not spring for high end equipment, but at the same time I don't mind Thanks for reading and any help/advice ![/QUOTE]"

ESC recommendation. I'm not sure what size motor you need with that big bugger. I am using 750kv on my Espana (Jaime Primero to make Tuggy happy). But you need both more speed and more torque. 1000KV maybe? You need one ESC for each Drive motor. You need a different ESC (no reverse) for the Pump,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11743__HobbyKing_8482_Brushless_Car_ESC_2S_4S_60A_w_Reverse.html

get the program card too:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9550__HobbyKing_Programming_Card_for_Car_ESC.html

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    Tugboat likes this.
  11. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

OK, Time for some work here.

12. Tracker

Tracker New Member

Life has been piling me with things for the past two weeks and it's still cold outside. And unlike a certain someone I don't have a heater in my garage. Did get the plans and Rudders in. Just need to make a copy of them before I start tearing them apart... Am planning on updating every two weeks. Mainly because I'm lazy and not much work is being done :)

13. bgt0990

bgt0990 Active Member

Only a month till Hagarstown!

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I hear you on that. I haven't been to the shed this whole winter due to the cold and just so busy with life.

15. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

What is this thing you mentioned? Cold? Idk what that is. Here in Cali we have warm and then warmer :p haha