USS Sacramento The Golden Bear AOE1

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by rcaircraftnut, Jan 8, 2016.

1. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

I served aboard this ship from July of 98 to June of 01. I was wondering if anyone has a set of plans, set of drawings plans could be worked up from, or a resource where I could acquire some. I am a bit new to this whole area of the hobby and have no idea where to look. I would really like to build one and detail it out nicely for a conversation piece and special occasion runner. I can supply much firsthand knowlege about her. Unfortunately she is no longer with us, I know she was decomd, and I heard she was sunk as a man made reef. I will be checking on that.

2. rcaircraftnut

Apparently, she was scrapped by Esco marine in Texas early 08

3. rcaircraftnut

Wikipedia is off, she was 56000 tons loaded, and I personally saw her do in excess of 36 knots. IIRC at one point when we were bobbing like a cork after unreping the Vincent, she hit 38.5 knots. She was really something. Engines were meant for the Kentucky but she was never built. Largest wheels ever placed on a Navy ship at the time. She was in dry dock at Todd shipyard in Seattle when I first came aboard in 98, man what a sight.

4. rcaircraftnut

FYI for those who are wondering, Props over a certain size are called wheels on ships.

5. rcaircraftnut

Just found a set in 1/196 from the floating dry dock for $30. Anybody have any experience with them?

6. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

I ordered my set of Missouri plans from them. They are probably one of the best sources of American navy plans.

7. rcaircraftnut

Cool thanks.

8. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

+1 on The Floating Drydock. I've ordered from them many times and have always been happy with them.