voltages and current draw of common solenoids

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by GregMcFadden, Apr 25, 2008.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

does anyone have the voltage and current (or links to) ratings for the common solenoid valves used? I have a little project going on and I need to know that to size a component correctly.

thanks
    Greg

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

The Clippards (MME-2PDS-W010) are 12V DC 180PSI, they have a power draw of 6.5W so current would be about 540mA. I run mine at 7.2V without a problem. Some people run them at 6V, I've heard good and bad things about them at 6V but from what I've seen and the testing I've done I have no reason to think they shouldn't be used with 6V. I think the cutoff point is somewhere between 5 and 6 V but I haven't done any in depth testing to figure it out.

The KIPS we use (271114-06) are special order and cost about $25 more than the clippards ($45 vs $20, and they have a min order of like 25 or so, you can purchase them from battlers connection I think, they do bulk buys) They are rated at 6V 150PSI, and have a power draw of 7W so figure a current draw of 1.16A. I think straight comparison of the current draws is misleading cause I have a feeling the clippards problem draw more if you run them at 6V instead of the rated 12V, somewhere around 1.08A would be my guess. (P=IV anyone?)

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

but V=IR, and the solenoid coil is a fixed resistance to dc current (at least the ones I have come across in my work)... which means that if you halve the voltage to 12V from 6, you halve the current... 1/4 the power. the power rating for those type devices is only applicable at the stated voltage.

I could not find the MME-2PDS-W010 at clippards site, all I could find was the W012 variant.

thanks for the links, I was greatly overestimating the current draw from these suckers, which means the fet that one of my buddies and I chose should be suitable overkill.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

That should be W012 I hit the wrong number and didn't catch it.

I don't really know how the current will vary with voltage that was just a guess.