Waldeck-Rousseau Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Murchisonge, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Murchisonge

Murchisonge Active Member

Hello guys,
    I just ordered the wood from national balsa to start a build of an Edgar Quinet class armored cruiser following in Herr Tugboats steps. This is my first boat and I am super pumped for the chance to join the hobby. I will be asking a heap of questions and will be thankful for any help given.
    Cheers,
    Garrett

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Outstanding! A great little boat, surprisingly roomy for a cruiser, and the scale rudder is demonstrably bigger than the MWC/IRCWCC-allowed class 2 rudder. I already got the permission from the MWC Board to run the bigger scale rudder, I must remember to ask the IRCWCC for clearance :)

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Ah yes, I've been waiting for somebody else to follow the great Tugboat's footsteps!!! Good choice! :)
    BTW, Tugboat, when are you going to finish the EQ tutorial?

Beaver

4. Tugboat

I'm waiting on gun parts for Malaya; maybe today will see some progress on the drive and rudder of Edie Q :)

5. Beaver

I hope so. I'm hoping you show how to install electronics before I have to install them in my ship because I'm totally clueless as to where to start. :)

Beaver

6. Tugboat

I will, but I don't want to hijack Garrett's thread, so I will take it up in the EQ thread :) Thanks for reminding me to finish! :)

7. Murchisonge

In rib one through four (rib one in the link) I was wondering if the stringer is in the right place, or if it needs to be at the casemate deck. On ribs 15, and rib 16 looked correct around the casemate gun. Also, I was wondering if the stringer from ribs 15 and 16 continue through 17, 18, and 19. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Garrett

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  8. Tugboat

On 1-4 it's good. On 15, it's good for IRCWCC and MWCI rules, because they allow 2 stringers if the shape of the hull dictates it (and it does here). For the others, it's hard to tell from the rib drawing alone but I would say NO on 17,18,19 getting it (shape doesn't dictate a need for them there). Technically, the rules allow a stringer to exist up to one rib further than the feature that dictated it (like an armor belt), to help in sheeting tough-to-sheet hulls. I'll sneak out to the shop (when I get home) and take a few pics of Edie in the appropriate parts of the hull and post them tonight. Glad I haven't sheeted yet!

9. Murchisonge

On rib 15, should the casemate deck be only 1/4" wide on the rib as opposed to the 5/8 inch wide that I have drawn? I was just guestimating when I drew it to try and match pictures I came across of the rib from other forums. Thanks for hte help Herr Tug.

10. Murchisonge

While I have access to a scanner, how does the bow and stern look in the attached file? Thanks for the help.
    Cheers,
    Garrett

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2014
  11. Tugboat

Here's a pic of Edie, showing frame 15 and friends, with the casement deck stringer in place. You can see how I cut it wide and then deepened the notches from the inside until it fit. It looks like I carried the casement deck stringer forward to 16, mainly to ease sheeting.
    [​IMG]

12. Tugboat

The bow looks fine. The stern keel I'd carry up to make contact with the stern deck.

13. Murchisonge

Thank you for the picture Tug. It helps a lot to see it put together. I am still waiting on wood to go farther in the build, but it should be here by the end of this week or early next week.

14. Tugboat

Thank YOU for getting me moving on Edgar Quinet again! :)

15. Murchisonge

THE WOOD ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!:woot::woot: But celebrating will have to wait. Tomorrow the build will begin in earnest. Today I am cutting out the paper ribs so that I can glue them to the wood. I will need to find the hootus that connects my camera to the computer to upload pictures when the time comes. I am pumped to finally be diving into the hobby, rather than being a sideline fella. I'll post updates as soon as I make any other progress other than freaking out because the wood arrived.
    Cheers,
    Garrett

16. Tugboat

Looking forward to seeing it! Tomorrow I'm posting in the Edgar Quniet thread on putting the drive motor in the hull.

17. Beaver

Oh boy, you sound sort of like me when I did my first fitting of ribs and keel. :)
    BTW, nice sig.:)

Beaver

18. Murchisonge

So I cut out about half of the ribs this weekend by hand, and the rest will be cut out either this week or this weekend. So, my next step is to find some epoxy. What glue do you guys use for attaching the ribs to the keel? Does a wood glue like Titebond II work, or should I be looking for something else? Also, are there any suggestions for epoxy to seal the wood? I know West System is what everyone says, but are there other brands to be found in a local hardware store? Like perhaps Goop? Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,
    Garrett

19. Tugboat

Use either waterproof epoxy, or Titebond III (not II). Goop is good for some things in our hobby, but I would not use it to hold the hull together.

20. Murchisonge

Next question, if I order the west system epoxy, can I use it to waterproof and seal the ship as well as to fiberglass the bottom?