Wanted: South Dakota

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Powder Monkey, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Finally made up my mind, [^] and it is funny I ended right back where I wanted to be original. If any one has or knows of a South Dakota Hull out there and can put me on one that would be great.

Thanks guys,
    Monk

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Check out this site Monk, it has a list of hulls made by different people.
    http://www.scrapcombatships.com/hulls.html
    Best of luck with the SoDak, im looking forward to that build, too bad it will be slower then my Lion [:D].

3. Powder Monkey

Not once she has a few holes in her those two seconds drop off fast trust me [}:)]

4. BoomerBoy17

Im sure you will have a few holes too, especially if your'e chasing me and my dual sterns[:D]. But i dont think we'd have to go against each other if were both Allied

5. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guys I didnt think scraps was still around? Powder I have sailed mine for 3 yrs and I have to say she is a tough ship! Will take abeating and give it out too_One thing I think I would change is going to a electronic speed control like Mtronics,I didnt set it up for one and would have to redo a lot to make it fit now , still working out the ideas of placement. Sounds like we are folllowing the same path my friend!

6. BoomerBoy17

I dont know if they are, but their website is, and it has a good deal of (outdated) information. Im thinking that he should go for a North Carolina class, because of the extra speed, with the same number of units. what do you guys think about that?

7. Powder Monkey

Yes it dose just a little disappointed with the Boston’s first Battle but I’m currently busy fixing its short comings however there really isn’t a place for it on the pond with my group

She did well beating the other rookie cruiser (Scharnhorst) solidly on Wednesday 1 on 1 some thing like Boston 2 on 5 above Scharnhorst 2 above and he rammed me making a big old round Scharnhorst hole in my under side I had to repair before continuing. I need to put the other bow gun in the rear the bow shots are two hit or miss with damage landed a bunch with no score sounded good though.

Also changing to NIMH battery and foam superstructure and drilling some out of the ribs
    [V]

8. Powder Monkey

I will take the turning of a sodak over a 2 second speed any day

9. BoomerBoy17

Well, it sounds like it did well for a first time build. I can only hope my Lion does half as good as your Boston did. Sounds like you got a good amount of work ahead of you for the Boston. And the Sodak actually has the same rudder area then the North Carolina, and is only a little shorter. but again, im sure u will do a fine job. Until my ship comes on the water of course [:D]

10. Powder Monkey

LOL carful little fella I got my self in a world of hurt with my mouth dont start somthing you cant finish makes for a long week right Hull Buster [:D]

The Sodak out turns most on the pond I witnessed it myself as I skirmished with Rob and David when I was in the Littorio and paid the price turn and Turn again [:(]

11. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

yes we are still around(scrap) we have a Battles in August 16th, October 18th and December 20th,and it will be my 1st in August http://www.mwci.org/eventinfo.shtml?5_19_108_0

12. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Why dont you just get a SoDak hull from BC?

13. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Smart move, then you can move some weight down low.

The medium size BC pump works fine for a cruiser, just upgrade the pump motor. I use this motor from Tower hobbies with the BC pump, and with 40+ hits I did not come close to sinking, and Rick had over 50+ hits.

Visit this site

I do know of a NC thats for sale down in Florida, he does not have a computer, so if anyone is interested, I can ask about it for you.

14. BoomerBoy17

I completely forgot about the SoDak hull from BC, that might be the way to go monk, and you'd have a good idea of the things you'd need from BC

15. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Hey Monk.... You're not going to scratch build a wood hull for this one??
    Funny you decided on a SoDak -- I'm working on CAD drawings of the ribs for my son right now.. almost finished. I love that ship, short, wide, and killer armament!![}:)][}:)] Looks great too [:D]

16. Powder Monkey

I would cannon but I don’t have a cad to draw out the ribs [V] so I will try my hand at a fiberglass hull

17. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Ooohhh, Were the ribs for your Boston made from patterns?

I did start hand drawing ribs for the SoDak--I wanted to try the hand drawn approach. I finally figured out that I didn't care for the hand drawn approach after completing 24 of 26 ribs so I fired up the CAD. [;)]

18. Powder Monkey

yes they where traced i dont have CAD [V]

19. Powder Monkey

Okay so it looks like there are no virgins floating around out there [:(] so my choices are if I am correct Ralph cols or BC .What are the differences between the two?

20. Powder Monkey

I like to weigh my options and who dosen't like to find a deal you never know [:D]