waterproof radio boxes

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by MasterClay, Oct 7, 2011.

1. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

does anyone know of a good place to buy waterproof radio boxes? i need one for a CVE and 4 for some Mehoshi Maru's. i want to buy them rather than build
    thanks, Jason

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

what are you putting in them? If youre using a waterproof speed controller, you can just skotchkote your rx and not need a box.

Otherwise, check out http://pelican.com/ and http://www.otterbox.com/ for some options. Some people have had sucess with cutting down otter boxes on a bandsaw and putting them back together to make smaller boxes. I'm not entirely sure what will fit in a maru (not a lot of vertical clearance)

3. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

No such critter as a truely waterproof box, in my experience. Keeping water out is virtually impossible.
    Watertight (keeping the water INSIDE the box) however, is very easy to achieve.

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I make mine out of wood for the radio and rudder boxes. I have not had a leak in the Washingtons ever, The Bikes leaked a couple times when it was new (The plastic cover was too smooth to hold on to the box), The Frog's never leaked, The Multi ship box has never leaked. They all, well not the frog, sink a lot, sometimes in deep water.
    It is very possible and not that hard to make a water tight box.

5. MasterClay

MasterClay Active Member

thaks a lot guys, i am using waterproof speed controllers on these boats so it would just be for the reciever only