Waterproofing electronics

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Superarp, May 28, 2009.

1. Superarp

Superarp Member

Has anyone found a good how to for waterproofing electronics? I'm building a maryland and figured that was kinda important :)

2. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

3M Skotchkote.

JM

3. Superarp

Superarp Member

So cover it in tape.....????

4. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Hahaha skotchkote is a tar looking liquid that you paint onto your electronics in order to waterproof them. DONT get it on any moving parts like dip switches or potentiometers or servo gears, or small motors.

5. Superarp

Superarp Member

ok....so what do i do about the servos....just leave them???? And do drive motors and pump motors for a Battleship count as small?

6. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

they make a waterproof servo now that people have been liking. Motors get nothing as they are ok with water, just dry them out after the weekend.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

And if you were to waterproof a brushed motor, you can interfere with the brushes low resistance contacting surfaces, rendering the motor less than useful...

I need to order me up some of those waterproof servos... I've been waiting a long time for a servo that is really waterproof to be available. :)

8. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

the traxxas waterproof servos cost the same amount as a plain servo and then you have to spend the money to waterproof it and then.... it might fail anyway. The traxxas waterproof servo is $29 bucks. I bought one and sunk twice with no problem.

The motors... I dont do anything except that I bought hobby motor cleaning spray and clean the motors after a sink or run and then oil the bushings on the top and bottom. The motor spray will displace any water on the brushes or commutator so spray around the top of the can, brushes, and commutator really well so that the water will be pushed out and cut down on the rusting. Also dont waterproof ANY motors or really any moving parts.

I have not had to replace a motor as of yet but the word on the street is replace the drive motors once a year and/or before every Nats. I consider the main drive motors a wear item and bought 4 or 5 spare and wired them for quick replacement.

I use the Traxxas stinger motor on the pump and bought 2 extra and an extra pump. So I have two completely assembled pumps ready to go and then a spare pump motor for repairs.

Hope that helps you out.