Waterproofing: Liquid Tape

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by JustinScott, Oct 31, 2006.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Visit this site

Liquid Tape can be used as a subsitute for shrink wrap or waterproofing your electronics.

Take off the plastic cover of the desired electronic device; coat the PCB with liquid tape being careful not to cover part that could be damaged.

Particular parts to be careful of:
    1. Motors / Moving parts: These items could get "gunked up".
    2. LEDs: Obviously, if they are covered up they will not be seen.
    3. MOSFETs / Heatsinked ICs: Liquid tape is rubber, and therefore a good heat insulator. IF these items can't get cooled, they WILL fail.

*PLEASE NOTE: If you try this mod, you are on your own. Neither I, nor anyone else will be held responsible for any damage caused by this mod. It is unlikely the part's manufacturer will warranty an item that has been modified in this way.

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Be careful with some of these products. Depending on the type of fumes let off, they can corrode delicate electronics (usually not an issue with power conductors). Check the bottle for warnings about what can / can not deal with said fumes. For example, silicon RTV's are generally a bit corrosive, but there are special non-corrosive RTV's available from places such as smallparts.com

my 2.05 cents...

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

4. JustinScott

As a programmer, I immediately read that as "DO NOT BAN"... I was like WHAT? WHY?

Then I remembered I was not writing code & what you actually meant was "BAN THAT GUY!"

5. Tugboat

Lol. I was playing Enemy Territory on my clan's server earlier. !ban is the severest punishment for a player :)

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Actually, over time, the Liquid Electric tape also tends to de-bond/leak in our experience in the NTXBG. Especoially when hit periodically with WD-40, Corrosion-X, lubes, etc.

A better solution, we feel, was discovered by one of our members - Scotchkote by 3M. Nasty looking and smelling stuff, much thinner than the Liquid Electric tape, but works a treat. It is available at Lowes, but not Home Depot, as I recall.

Just my .02, of course, ymmv.

Wreno

7. JustinScott

Hmmm... sounds interesting, I will give it a shot!

8. Tugboat

I only use Scothkote. Works very well in my lil I-boat with everything exposed... rudder and gun servos, no WT box here :)

It's also pretty cheap, for those who battle on a budget.

9. klibben

klibben Member

it looks to me like the tool dip only advertised for tape type rather than hand tools....

10. Brandon Graham

Brandon Graham New Member

skotchkote on the team delta boards is great, but another helpful protective coating is to do that and then also add a layer of the 3M electrical tape. it has cushion to it and is a good way to color code your boards. it also helps further protect it.

11. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

Liquid Electric Tape has a real nasty tendency to debond from a component. It becomes a long term reliability issue. At 3 to 6 months, it has to be checked again and it's not an easy check. Scotchkote just stays on pretty much permanently. I had issues of Liquid Electric Tape coming loose on my RX in a way that wasn't visible to the eye, letting water in right next to the board and keeping it there causing some corrosion. I had to peel what I could off the board, and then apply Scotchkote. Haven't had to do any maintenance since then. It's been 5 years a lot of sinks with no further maintenance required on the RX. Liquid Electric Tape also has an issue being around any oil/lubes at all. Scotchkote doesn't have an issue with that.

[​IMG]
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MElectrical/Home/ProductsServices/Products/SolutionsCatalog/?PC_7_0_2KUR_nid=W55Z263S05beS06GGDKKQTgl

12. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

The only time I use the liquid tape is when I'm applying Heat shrink to the wiring, I put some in the heat shrink and shrink it down, makes it waterproof that way, so far no problems. :)

13. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

Not permanently though. You'll have to keep an eye out for when it starts to separate from your heatshrink tubing and let water into your connections. And it will, particularly if you overspray some CorrosionX or similar anywhere near it. Liquid Electric tape is very fragile, and not very tolerant of being used inside a ship, or in the weather. Two things that our ships are exposed to.

The nice thing about Scotchkote (and the initial reason I switched to it) was my frustration with the high maintenance and unknown issues of liquid electric tape. It can look fine, and still be letting water in, which is worse than not coating it at all. So I started googling for a replacement, and found reports from electricians in the field touting ScotchKote . One report came from the coast where it had survived 10 years in moist salty air more or less exposed to the elements. Guy cut open the connection finally to verify that it hadn't been breached in any way, and it hadn't. The wires had no evidence of corrosion. That sold me on it. I figured if it can survive that, it'll survive the slightly less hostile environment of a combat model warship. :) 5+ years on, I can verify that the maintenance of Scotchkoted boards is nearly nil.

Cheers
    Jeff

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I just had the receivor in the ROMA encased in cast resin for mold making.
    I can see the little guy like it's a Mammoth frozen in the ice. The servo extensions and the antennae exit the block and can be removed with ease. No way it is going to debond or wear away.