Welp....I'm Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by misguided1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Hey Yall,
    I am new to the site, and the hobby. I have yet to get my first ship, but it's a work in progress. I do want to get into this hobby, and hopefully meet some great people and friends that can have weekend battles whenever we want just for the hell of it. I have always love the RC world, and unfortunately, i had to place my rc sailbot in the grace because she got broken beyond repair. I do hope to have a great time and hopefully get some great conversations going.

2. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Um....would help if "here" was defined, either in your post or your profile. Nonetheless, welcome aboard.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Welcome to the hobby! Where are you at? :)

4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Welcome!

According to your profile, you're in Woodbine GA. That puts you about 2hrs north of Tugboat. :)

5. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Thank you yall. I am in Woodbine, about 7 miles from the Florida-Georgia border. What type of ships do yall command?

6. Tugboat

I think he's 2 hours south of me :) MisG, we do Fast Gun combat. The general rules are at: http://www.mwci.org/rules.shtml and that's a good place to start. The Statesboro Squadron does a build session nearly every weekend, and a battle every month. Next battle is first weekend of May, and this one is the Spring Regional Battle, so there'll be a lot of people there with a bunch of different ships. If you come up, you can watch my HMS Malaya in her virgin battle and see what breaks or malfunctions :)

7. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Hopefully I get this job, and if I do, I might be working that weekend. If I am not working I would love to come out. Could you possible send me the location of the battle so that if I do come, I would know where and when it is. I know it's the first weekend of may, but like what time? I really appreciate the assistance Tugboat.

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Definatly come out and see the hobby up close.

There will also be 4 other virgin ships there, my two sons both have Espanas, and neither boy has battled yet, so thats going to be fun to watch, plus Jeff Lipp has his rebuilt Baden with a new twist, and of course my Mutsu is a virgin ship as well.

So I see lots of sinks coming up due to malfunctions and such... it will be very fun to watch!

9. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Oh I am definitely coming out to see the battles. I am looking forward to meeting yall and getting to know everything and getting to see an actual battle in person. Next month I am ordering the plans for my ship and hopefully, if everything goes right, start the build. I do have many questions that hopefully yall will be able to answer. I'm making a list and checking it twice, gotta make sure I have all the information I need, so that I can build right. Can someone tell me what time the battle is so I know when I need to get on the road and be up there by. I might be a little late, and may have a +1, if that is ok with everyone.

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Which battle bud?

The Region 3 Regionals is May 3 and 4th. I am driving down the morning of the 2nd so I can go pick on Tugboat. It's about a 8 to 9 hour drive to get down there. If you have a sleeping bag, you can stay in our room.. unless Jeff will let you sleep in his rack..LOL :whistling:

11. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

My two boys were going to come, but as of right now they are in so much trouble, I doubt they get out of their room in time for the 2016 NATS...:mad:

So I may have two espanas that will need a captain... :cool:

12. Tugboat

If by 'pick on Tugboat', you mean, 'beg Tugboat to give me more BBs' then I am all for it :)

Our host will be at the lake by 8AM. I roll in a little after that, depending on how long the line is at Dunkin Donuts. Battle will start 9:30 or 10 depending on how ready people are, and runs till 3 or 4, with a break for lunch.
    Directions to park

13. misguided1

misguided1 Member

I'm going to attend the May Mayham battle out in Statesboro. That's the closest place to me, even though I still have to drive...I wonder if my sis will let me borrow the stang so I don't have to take my gasoholic truck, which reminds me I need to sign her up for gasoholic anonymous meetinigs...lol.

McSpuds, wouldn't you be doing your sons a favor by making them stay in their room, they wouldn't be able to attend school if they can't leave. LOL just messing with ya. This coming battle will probably be the only battle that i'll be able to attend for the rest of the year. My new job has me on the sat/sun/thurs shift. Hopefully next year i'll have my ship ready to go and switch to a different shift so that I can do more battles.

I'm really looking forward to this battle, and getting to watch everyone and see how it's done. Maybe get a few pointers on the build and everything. Do yall get all your parts offline, or is there a hobby shop around savannah/Statesboro/pooler that we can get them at?

14. Tugboat

Depends on the parts. Brushless motors and stuff I get from HobbyKing. Regular brushed motors I get from AllElectronics or Surplus City. Props can be gotten from Battlers Connection in FL, or from Strike Models on the west coast. Those last two sell just about everything. As far as I know, Strike is the only ones selling pressure regulators for the hobby right now, so you'll need to get one of those from them.

15. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

BC has regulators too.

16. misguided1

misguided1 Member

i am planning on ordering the plans for my ship this week. I'm gonna order them through Strike Models, how detailed are the plans? I am trying to figure out if they should what plans i'm gonna need or not.

17. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Plans are detailed enough at 1:144 scale. Keep in mind the rules only require you to model features >1" sq. How much detail beyond simple superstructure, funnels, & masts is up to the builder. Don't go for museum quality (Stokomoto, I'm lookin' at you!) because it's GOING to get shot up.

Strike & Battlers Connection both offer extensive kits, including pretty much everything you'll need except CO2 & bb's. Were you planning on scratch-building or buying a kit?

18. misguided1

misguided1 Member

Im thinking about from scratch, it's cheaper at the moment where as I can't afford a kit just yet. I do plan on building more afterwards and may go with a kit, but at first i'm just going to go from scratch. On the radios, do you have one for each ship or use the same radio for all the ships, I know radios are expensive.

19. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

I'd recommend just 1 radio. Get a 6+ channel 2.4Ghz. 4 isn't much cheaper than 6, and you have more flexibility (for larger ships, extra features, etc)
    Usual setup:
    Channel 1 (right stick up-down) bow / stern gun
    Channel 2 (right stick left-right) Port / Starboard sidemounts
    Channel 3 (left stick up-down) throttle forward /reverse
    Channel 4 (left stick left-right) rudder
    Channel 5 (landing gear switch) pump on/off
    Channel 6 (ailerons?) rotate, smoke generator, whatever.

You can get multiple receivers to bind to one transmitter, so you could just stick one receiver in each boat you build, or do like many do, and make your receiver / watertight box a modular system you can plug into any boat (thus only one receiver needed)

20. misguided1

misguided1 Member

If yall don't mind explaining something to me. Of all the build threads that I have read about their building of the ships and using fiberglass hulls, they always cut up the hull, putting "windows" in the hull, why do they do this, isn't the hull just fine the way it comes in?