West Coast AoS clubs.

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by tsolson55, Jan 18, 2012.

1. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Very nice stuff, but are there any Age of Sail clubs on the West Coast area?
    Thanks,
    SKIPPY/MWCI/SCRAP

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

There will be as soon as you start one. ;)

AoS is so new that there hasn't even been a battle yet, much less a ship built and on the water for the format. There is two ships currently under construction and a couple more getting started. Most I think are in the Southeast.

So here is the opportunity to start a completely new format on the west coast. :)

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahoy Skippy, I have heard of a couple interested people in California. And I know a few other folks in the WWCC who'd love to do AOS once work and life permit it.

4. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Rear Admiral Kotori,
    I started reading more about AoS, the rules and stuff. I had no idea that things really just kicked off a month or two ago. Are there any threads on controls yet? I see where RichelieuBB will be starting to work on his in his build thread. Can't wait to see how things go. Looking at all the details involved it would take a year or so for me to build a ship, unless I start 1 after I retire. Life does get in the way sometime. I'll talk to the guys in SCRAP in a couple of weeks as we have a battle coming up and see what they might think about it.
    Take care and keep the info coming.
    Skippy

5. mike5334

I've been chatting with a couple other captains into the possibility of making a mold for making generic fiberglass frigate hulls. Can't say it will happen, but there does seem to be enough interest to seriously look into the possibility of doing it.

6. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

Mike,
    I think that something like that would be a big leap for AoS. That would give the ones who haven't built a woodenship (like me) before a big head start on getting a ship on the water.
    Skippy

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hmm... If you left off the keel, it'd be easy, apart from the bow stuff where it gets complicated (forepeak, figurehead, bowsprit). Could probably cast those from plastic, or make a pattern for easy wood assembly.

8. mike5334

Good point Clark. I'd probably cast the basic parts of the front end in three or four pieces that could be glued together and stuck on the front of the hull.

For the keel ... hmm ... maybe a short aluminum blade can stick out from the hull centerline and be molded into the hull when it is layed up. After we find out the best overall position for the keel, then the blade could be positioned accordingly and layed up with the hull.

If anyone might be thinking that a fiberglass hull for AoS will be available relatively soon ... it won't be soon. If I do take on this project, the soonest I could start on it is mid to late summer. The first hulls would be sometime next winter. We might have better luck getting a laser cut wood hull up and running before then.

9. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I don't know about getting a laser-cut hull up quickly. Kotori and I have been discussing it, and there's a lot we don't know that is specific for sailing ships. We're considering building a regular wooden hull first, then designing a laser-cut kit based on the lessons learned from the first project.

10. tsolson55

tsolson55 Active Member

You guys are doing a great job of moving AoS along. Is there a Fourm link/thread on building wood ships?
    Skippy

11. meatbomber

meatbomber Member

if it`s just abouzt building wooden hulls of period ships then www.modelshipworld.com would be your first stop :) if you look for scale sailships that are RCed then http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-sailboats-653/

12. mike5334

It is about building ships that can shoot and be shot by BBs. ;)