wet valves

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by WIPER 1ST, May 11, 2011.

1. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

Building MN Edgar Quinet as my 1st ship
    i want to use clippard valves (electric) . i want to place a valve AT each gun. what are the hazards of getting the valves wet?
    i have seen pictures of ships with valves (KIP) that are just secured and procted, but not water proofed. thoughts

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I don't know about Clippard solenoids, but I do know that clippard poppet valves (MAV-3, MAV-2) and Strike Models solenoids are effectively waterproof. The poppet valves are made from brass, stainless steel, and rubber, and have been getting sunk for many years with no ill effects. Strike Models solenoids are designed with a sealed coil and corrosion-proof parts so they meet the same effective level of waterproof-ness.

I don't know about KIP solenoids, but I would assume that since others don't put any water protection that they are either waterproof as well, or there are lots of spares lying around at every battle.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

No problems with either Clippards or Kips getting wet. Look up how solenoids work and you'll understand why.

4. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

anybody else want to weigh in on this?

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The solenoid coils are essentially waterproofed already due to the epoxy coating on the coil wires. Nothing more is needed.
    The only part left that may get some corrosion is the plunger part which is easily cleaned if the solenoid stops working. Frankly, I have never had any problem with that with the Kips or Clippards.

6. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Mike
    Perhaps you haven't experienced any problems with them because you never get sunk.
    I am not sure if scuttling your ship counts.
    Haha.

I have never had any problem with wet kips, or Clippards either.
    But then again..
    I am French too.
    And I never get sunk.
    Vive la France!
    Mikey

7. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

8. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

i have been cruising the forum and found reference to failed clippard solenoid valves.
    the complaint (very rough and short on description) indicates perhaps a loss of wiring integrity.
    it might have been shot and broken or maybe vibration failure?
    i believe them to be effectively water resistant.
    i guess i will have to dunk a couple in the pool and cycle them a few dozen times.

9. Kotori87

I've got several clippard solenoids that I bought from an electronics surplus store, but none of them ever worked right. Either not working or not reliably working, even after me disassembling and cleaning them thoroughly.

10. mike5334

The Richelieu, built over three years ago, is equipped with Clippard 12v solenoids (not the mouse solenoids!). Believe me when I say the Richelieu has been sunk a LOT! Heh.

But the Clippards still work flawlessly to this day. Even if one did fail, the ship definitely got it's $25 worth out of the solenoid.

11. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

thanks for the input.
    i will proceed with clippard valves in the boat.
    mike

12. mike5334

Couple quick notes on the Clippards ...

Do not use the "Mouse" type. They are not rated for over 100 psi and will leak.

The MME series works well, but require at least 7.2 volts minimum to operate. 12v is best. The Richelieu has a separate 12v battery pack just for the solenoids.

13. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

MME Clippard valves are Red Chinese and $19.95 (cheep),, durability is not tested (too little time on market)

KIP valves are USA made and $55 per (not cheep),,,durability is tested and many users have 20-25 years on them.

I use both and I like the KIP valves because of the ease of service, and the lack of need for service,
    YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

14. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Although I do run my solenoids off a separate battery, its not 12v. I chose to use life batteries for the receiver and a 12v battery would of course be double the cost and weight (a very big concern in a small ship). A set of 12V batteries (I have 3 packs at 6.6v now) would have been nearly equal to the price difference between the clippard and kip solenoids. A gel cell 12v of any capacity would be a heavy addition as a receiver battery in a small ship in my opinion, and I want at least a 2.5 to 3ah receiver battery (I use them now with no problem, but not NATS tested).

15. Kotori87

Interesting. I didn't know that Clippard started manufacturing overseas. All the stuff I got from them still has "cincinnati, OH" stamped in the side.

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

According to Clippard, they don't manufacture overseas.
    "Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it can cause big problems for you if the imitation is sub standard. Clippard Minimatics are original designs and are manufactured in Cincinnati, Ohio USA. Anyone who tells you otherwise is not telling the truth and may be selling you your next biggest headache. "

http://www.clippard.com/imitations.asp

17. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

The cardboard box they come in tell a different tale,
    still a good buy but not USA.

18. WIPER 1ST

WIPER 1ST Member

look for the picture of prince harry on the box then you will know for sure.