Photos Where's the boat?

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by CURT, Aug 7, 2012.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

:woot: If you thought the rough water was bad last time wait till you see these.
    Mo learning hard to port in a swell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Slicing through a white cap
    [​IMG]
    Bow stem is out of the water as Mo cuts through a whitecap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The bow is submerged and the first turret is going under
    [​IMG]

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The number one turret is under water . You can see the red portion of the bow under the water.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Torpedoe hit on the aft starboard quarter?
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a model version of wipeout..big balls and large waves of water crashing down on you.
    [​IMG]
    Me on teh shore with Bismarck on the table and Yamato moving away from the shoreline heading out to sea
    [​IMG]
    NEXT is to upload the videos.

3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Hey Curt,
    Was Mighty Moe ok???
    Nikki

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

No problem with the MO .

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Nice! How deep is that area? There is a 'pond' relatively near me that the wind whips up in a similar fashion - I'm not brave enough (or a good enough swimmer) to sail it though.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I don't know how deep it is but suffice to say it is well over 10 ft. The water level has receded quite a bit here due to lack of rain . Not a place to conduct combat but good enough for sailing around. The lake is nearly a mile long. Where it's in the valley section of the city and just behind the hills it seems to have it's own little weather pattern there so I have to be prepared for sudden changes in the weather which occur frequently. Rogue waves happen a lot on this lake.

7. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

Have you ever had a system fail on you out there and had to go swimming for one of your boats?

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Oh for sure and that was in the days when I used only 1 model and had no way of retrieval. I bring a 2nd model as back up and use it to retreive a model. For the Mo when I took it out for rough water sailing the port gearshaft stripped it self and I lost propulsion on that side. Now that would be a a serious situation but I still had the starboard shaft working and fortuntatly Mo can still steer on one shaft and the pump was still working very well so I was able to drive it in to safety. There were times when I would shut the TX off before shutting down the receivor by accident and the boat would motor away from shore in reverse. But as far as system glitches, I only had a few over the 20 years I been using RC ships. Nothing is 100% foolproof and it's a risk no matter what but I have gained so much experience and familarity with the systems and sailed them so much that I am very much comfortable with the setups. Kiss principal is high for me here and it seems to work well for me. There's nothing Hi Tech in my systems.
    I can make repairs or swap equipment fairly quickly with little fuss and get back in action. Course I do my regular checks before and after sailing and conduct regular maintenace. I leave nothing to chance and it has worked out very very well for me.

9. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

wow having owned one of them boats that is some crazy water the first turret is well back from the bow and she aint no small boat either. you sir are far braver than I.

10. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

I would be terrified to sail mine in that water (once it is completed). Especially not knowing the depth a sink would almost certaininly mean a very long long search if not an entire lost at sea designation. O_O

11. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

put about 50ft of line on the float that aught to help :)

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

5O ft of line should do it.

13. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

or 100ft to 200ft if by a dam.

14. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

Awssome ship!