Who will be ready and what ship for 2008

Discussion in 'New England Task Force (IRCWCC)' started by Powder Monkey, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

Hey NETF members send me your ships so I can update the web

2. Powder Monkey

Liam Ch 79 SS Lyman Abbott (Liberty Ship)

3. Powder Monkey

Fred CH 2.4 GHZ, USS Boston CA 69, Class3, units3.5

4. EricMA

EricMA Member

Two Des Moines Class Heavy Cruisers Names undetermined (Suggestions Welcome)

5. Powder Monkey

Well you have three choices [;)]

Des Moines | Salem | Newport News

Any of them tickle your fancy

Visit this site

6. EricMA

EricMA Member

Well I like Uss Salem since I work right next to it and Newport News since I was stationed there but I wish I could have a different name. soething that someone else doesn't have. guess I should have picked a class that had a lot more than three ships. were there any that were never finished in the desmoines class?

7. Powder Monkey

Working next to it will be a big help lots of pictures would to bring your camera to work and I don’t think any of them where ever not finished

8. EricMA

EricMA Member

There were four des moines class heavy cruisers. The USS Salem served a distinguished 10 year career as flagship of the US Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean and the Second Fleet in the Atlantic. She never fired her guns. She starred in the 1956 English film, "Pursuit of the Graf Spee".
    USS Newport New went through many important phases of service in her long and decorated career. She spent most of her time in the Mediterranean Sea and also served in the vietnam war.
    The USS Des Moines CA-134, aka Daisy Mae served as a Peace Force in the Atlantic and was the first United States warship to visit Yugoslavia since World War II. There were actually two USS Des Moines. The USS Des Moines and The USS Des Moines II.

9. EricMA

EricMA Member

Six Des Moines (CA-134) class heavy cruisers were authorized in FY1942, two in FY1943, and four in FY1945 for a total of twelve. The four units authorized in FY1945 (CA-150 to 153) were cancelled on 28 March 1945. CA-149 was cancelled on 12 August 1945, and CA-140 to 143 were cancelled in June-July 1946. Only Des Moines (CA-134), Salem (CA-139), and Newport News (CA-148) were completed, each laid down in 1945 and commissioned 1948-49. The first CA 134 Des Moines had been planned as a Baltimore class ship but was changed during construction.

10. Powder Monkey

yes the USS Helena (CA-75)

11. EricMA

EricMA Member

Well I have the first hull. They gave me a free sub deck with it as well. I like battlers. I also have a hardware kit, terrets, and plans. Hopefully the cannon kit and the bilge pump will be here by friday. The second hull will be here Wednsday. Now question. What type of epoxy is best for use with a fiberglass hull and where locally can I get it? Also what else do I need right off the bat. I know I have to put the subdeck on and then cut the windows but after that I will need to put the propullion system in and the rudder. What will I need to pick up?

12. Powder Monkey

well that should keep you busy saturday

13. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

For the most part I use two part, 30 minute epoxy from my local hobby shop. I tried some crap (loctite marine epoxy) from Loews, and it was terrible. I'll never use it again, I threw the tubes I bought in the trash so I wouldn't be tempted to use them for anything.

For jobs like sealing your deck, west system marine epoxy is the way to go. For the record, go with USS Salem and USS Newport News. All the rest of the Des Moines class ships will be named "Des Moines". I've never seen one named differently!

USS Dallas (CA-140) was laid down but not completed. CA-151 - 153 were not ever laid down or given names to the best of my knowledge.

14. EricMA

EricMA Member

I was going to use USS Salem and either Newport News or Helena (CA-75. There is a Hobby store in Hyannis that dals with R/C equipment. I'll check there and see if they have te epoxy. I'd oder it online but I want it by this weekend.

15. Powder Monkey

Eric there are a bunch up here that carry the west I was contemplating getting some my self just don’t know what the shelf life is I want to get the gallon for the pump system sick of measuring and don’t need the whole gallon worried about waste at $100 a gallon

16. EricMA

EricMA Member

Pick it up and I'll split it with you. I'll give you the money on saturday. I'll pick up contaniers to put it in.

17. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

USS Helena CA-75 was a Baltimore class ship. I believe that West System lasts a long time. I've had mine for 2-3 years now.

18. Powder Monkey

the USS Helena (CA-75) is a Baltimore class hull [8D]

19. Powder Monkey

#105 resin in a 5:1 ratio, choose either the #205 Fast Hardener for 9-12min. pot life at 72deg.F or the #206 Slow Hardener for extended 20-25min. pot life (min. 60deg.F temperature)

do you want 205 or 206

20. Powder Monkey

Eric check your Email