WTB 1/144 combat ship

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Stook, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Stook

Stook New Member

I've built many models in the past, including a few RC cars and aircraft. I never built a boat though, however, I've always wanted to get into the RC ship to ship combat. I don't have the time to construct a ship with my current school and work load, but can't let that hold me back[:D] I'd much rather be spending my time designing better cannons, torps, and fire control anyways. If anyone has anything for sale, preferably a U.S. ship (what can I say, I'm an awefully patriotic guy!) then let me know and we might be able to work something out. Thanks a bunch folks.

Brandon

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Where do you hail from?
    Bobo

3. Stook

Stook New Member

Well, I was born in Delaware. I spent all 18 years there, then joined the AF. Now I'm 24 and a student at Va Tech in Blacksburg, VA. I visit my brother in Winchester from time to time, same goes for my family in Delaware and a bud in Charlotte, NC. As fortune would have it I drive a truck, so if anyone has got a ship for sale in the region... or even outta the region, let me know and perhaps I can come pick it up myself. I love tweeking things, especially things that involve lots of pressure and tight tolerances:) If its possible to get in the game sooner rather than later, I'd be ecstatic. Even if I cant though, I'll work something out. This definetely is going to be my next hobby... my Springfield M1911 is starting to really hurt the wallet!

4. Sneakshot

Sneakshot New Member

make sure you keep that springfield fireing in case of more asians

5. Stook

Stook New Member

No takers? Guess I'll have to do it the hard way:( lol

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

There are guys from the Mid-Atlantic Battlegroup in your area... I'd get in touch with them, they can help you out.

Their site is at www.mabg.org

7. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Thanks, Tugboat!

Brandon,
    Welcome to the great obsession. There are a few boats for sale that I'm aware of. Byron Robertson has a posting on this site for a Lion class BC that I will testify is well built. There's a Kirishima from the WWCC that's listed for sale for a really good price, too.

Meet us on the forums at www.mabg.org and we can pass some better info back and forth. Our founder and several other active members are in your area (the core of the group is a bunch of VT grads). I am located at the other end of the state in Hampton.

Mark
    MABG
    HMS Hood
    USS Indiana (under construction)

8. Stook

Stook New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I posted over there, looks like a good group. I'm thinking about building one the more I look into it, I just tear up at the cost of good radio equip for the ships I want..... lol.

9. Tugboat

There's an article on the net about how to convert a 4-ch Futaba to a 7-ch Futaba. Apparently they make 'em all 7-ch, and derate the ones they sell as 4-ch. Might save you some dough. (The page says 6-ch to 7-ch, but they give instructions for 4-ch, too). Page is at:

http://www.jkmiller.net/ntxbg/pgOnTheWays/pgFutabaAddChannel.htm

Disclaimer: Not my page, just pointing you at it and if you break your toys, don't blame me, I break enough of my own :)

10. Stook

Stook New Member

I did some thinking.... I can't very well just take someone elses boat and feel good about it. Just got done ordering a South Dakota hull, deck kit, hardware kit, and some accessories from the guys at battlers connection. A few hundred dollars more and many months of building lie ahead, but at least it will be MY ship! Oh yea, Rick is the man. Thanks for the help on the phone! On another note, I havn't decided just yet between the Indiana, Massachusetts, or Alabama... any suggestions on which way to go and why? Was leaning towards the Alabama simply because of why it was dedicated but thats about all I've got to go on as of late. .....sooo excited to get this project moving!

11. rhinexing

rhinexing New Member

Congrats on the South Dakota... good choice! We have a SoDak in our club that is an excellent battler (helps that Rob Fristrom is a decent skipper).

Personally, I would lean towards the Massachusetts. "Big Mamie" fought in North Africa, firing on the French Battleship Jean Bart, and finished the war in the Pacific.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/battleships/massachusetts/bb59-mass.html

Make sure to post pics of your progress!

12. TRich19

TRich19 Member

i agree

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I might stary with the name South Dakota and keep referring to it as Battle Ship "X" until you are ready to fully name it.

14. Stook

Stook New Member

bb26, yea, thats the intention. I'm not rushing into things. I'll hold off on giving it a real name until it slips into the water for the first time;) Tell ya what.... i'll refer to it as BBX from now on!

15. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I currently have a SoDak under construction. The USS South Dakota was referred to in the papers as Battleship X during the war. Currently I am leaning towards USS Alabama for the name. The only reason I am thinking of Alabama is that I can yell" Go Bama" when it sinks an Axis boat.

16. Tugboat

BC makes a good SoDak hull, and you will get a lot of fun out of that hull. I think the SoDaks are better than the North Carolinas, although many people disagree with me :)

Rick is a great guy, he loaned me a ship at my first battle ever :) It was the DKM Graf Spee with dual sterns. He still loans it out to new people. A gentleman and a friend. Goes without saying that he's AXIS :) hehehe

17. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guys I have the South Dakota and have really enjoyed battleing it the last couple of years! I dedicated it as the South Dakota becaus my father joined her as a new ship at Bremerton in Washington and served on her till the end!He was on of the last of the crew off her. I finaly got the triple sterns to work right and have really started to hold my own with her. The super is slightly different then her sisters as being she had an admirals cabin and such for extra staff.

18. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

buddy did you know that the USS Smith Was hit by a Kamakazi and was sent ablaze and then she rode right behind the SoDak And mad all the fire go by by