WWI Italian dreadnoughts

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by glaizilla, Jul 28, 2011.

1. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Hello all, I am interrested in the WWI italian dreadnoughts, either class ( Andrea doria, Giulio Caeser, Leonardo De Vinchi etc) I havent been able to find the pre-1937(ish) rebuild of the four vessels retained after WWI. I know they were around 550 ft, and had an additional main battery turret amidships....any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance to anyone who lends there time to help out...

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

ANB has plans for the Dante Alighieri (sp?) the first Italian dreadnought. Not sure about the others.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have the ANB plans for Giulio C... they're pretty nice, but copyrighted.

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The ANB plans are great and the best source for Italian subjects. I have their San Giorgio.

5. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

thanks for the lead, i will try ANB :)

6. Anachronus

Taubman's sells them in this country. You will need to scale them as they are usually in 1/100.

7. glaizilla

glaizilla Active Member

Thanks for the tip, it took me a second "google" to find ANB plans on Taubmans lol, my prediction for battlestations is predreadnoughts and WWI battleships with low casements will reign supreme, against all the fast boats armed with torpedoe tubes, I predict that all the WWII battleships will only be viable against other large warships and due to there relative high freeboard and even higher secondaries will be unable to defend one on one with the smaller faster more manuverable torpedo boats, (this comming from someone with two WWII battleships in 1/96) my thought process behind this is as follows...

1) ships with low casements as in the smaller scales get more impenetrable area, and offer gun mounts as low if not lower than the torpedo mounts on the smaller ships
    2) the secondary guns being armed with 1/8" or BB size projectiles will have no problem riddling the thinner skin of the smaller boats
    3) there relative slow speed will have little impact on there effectiveness, (my 32 knot New Jersey is 10knots slower than the two torpedo super destroyers in our club)
    4) there main armaments are closer bow and stern due to there relative short hull, leaving few if any dead spots amidships for the small boats to nest in
    5) there relatively narrow beams will allow there main batteries to engage at lower depression angles (have to check ruleset) than beamer ships
    6) they look cooler, if it looks cooler thats a plus, even when its sinking...
    7) they are smaller, more buildable, easier to transport, and turn quicker

We shall see this August if I am correct, ifso all future battlestations vessels comming from my shipyard will be WWI and prior ships (infact some of my slave laborers may or may not be working on such ships as we speak......*evil laugh*)

8. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

http://www.anb-online.it/ is their actual homepage, it is in Italian only though.

9. Anachronus

Reason #6 rules!!!!!
    Actually the style of combat that we do is actually more in keeping with the predreadnought design criteria. The hail of fire rather than long range plunging fire is what its all about. Semi-Dreadnoughts may be the ideal ships. Vive Le Danton! Long live the Lord Nelson, Viva Napoli! Andrei Pervozvanny! Banzai Aki!

:D

10. Tugboat

And here I'd been considering a SoDak or an Ise... (Still have USS Georgia ribs on paper in 1/96 lol)

11. Anachronus

The never were SoDaks? That would be interesting. An Ise can't help but be interesting.

12. Tugboat

I was actually thinking of the really-were SoDaks :) USS Alabama, to be precise.

13. Anachronus

Bleh...how boring
    ;)