Yamato build thread

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Mark, May 14, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Active Member

decided it would make more sense to have this here, BTW Tug any ideas when we might get a glimpse at those turrets?

2. Mark

Mark Active Member

tried to post some more pics in the photo gallery the other day but I got a weird error message, anyone know whats going on?

3. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

mark i like to use www.piczo.com its a simple site maker i use to post pics and text about my ships. my site is www.theclarkyempire.piczo.com all u have to do is upload your pics then drag them around

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Justin implemented a new way to do pics, the File Manager, which is on the main page.

5. Mark

Mark Active Member

alright, well I got the image in the file manager (it's not a very good pic) so now how do I send it to the forum?[​IMG]

6. Tugboat

Let me try this:
    [​IMG]

Okay, here is the procedure, which I have blatantly stolen from Justin's post :)

To use your uploaded photos in a forum post:

-Navigate to your "User Folder" & click on the desired file.

-You will see "File Location:" & a URL underneath. Copy the URL

-Paste the URL to your forum post

-Highlight the Pasted URL and push "Insert image" from the toolbar

7. Mark

Mark Active Member

thanks Tug I got it figured out now:)

8. Mark

Mark Active Member

Some nice shots of the not-quite complete water channeling (need to finish gluing, putty, seal w/epoxy and fill with foam)[​IMG]

9. Mark

Mark Active Member

what the !@3w4@!, now the f^*%ing pics won't work for me again, I give up:(

10. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

wow nice pic kinda makes me feel like its huge like its 20ft to the back there(and yes i know its huge)

11. Tugboat

Mark, email the pics to me at ssn706 at gmail dot com, and I'll post them.

12. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

That's a yamato right? Good that you're running on all fours ( props ) but why do i only see one rudder?

13. Mark

Mark Active Member

look just behind the main rudder and you'll see the other smaller one

14. Tugboat

Took a break from house-renovating today (been doing so much work that I got hand problems if I try to exert much force) and I played with the chunk of wood that will be the plug for the main turrets of Mark's Yamato. They are H.U.G.E. Really Big. How big? Other than Mark and I, I don't think anyone has a good idea of the scale of them so I'll share :) They rough plug is like unto 6 inches wide and just over 7 inches long. It totally dwarfs any 1/144 turret and it will be impressive :) Once the cool new belt/disc sander gets here and I start roughing out the principal angles of the plates, i'll post a pic. But just holding it made me feel the power :)

Also, for anyone contemplating a 1/96 Mogami, the secondary turrets from the Yamato are identical so I can provide those when I get them made for Mark.

Mark, for planning purposes on the camera systems in the rangefinders... I would plan on having an aperture no bigger than 10mm where the rangefinders glass plate is. It may be a shade smaller where it enters the turret. But plenty of room, if you still want to do that.

15. Mark

Mark Active Member

absolutely:) the boat is getting closer to sea trial status. have a friend working on copying the BDE cannon to make it cheaper and better, we'll see how it goes

16. Tugboat

Yeah! Can't wait to see it driving! Having realized that I will have main turret molds for Mogami when I'm done making Yamato turrets, I may make a 1/96 Mogami hull mold to help bring in new interested parties :) I'm still doing Tirpitz for myself, and that'll be a truly huge mold. I'm glad I have a big shop now, and the new tools coming in.

17. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

I'd be interested in a Mogami hull if you make one!

Thanks,

Carl

18. Mark

Mark Active Member

Tug, what exactly is the material the turrets being made out of? Just finished making the cut outs in the deck for the primary and secondary guns and have run into a possible problem. The 6 double 5" gun turrets (3/side)Being that they are built into the lower part of the superstructure, I'm hesitant to progress any further with above deck construction. If you'll be making all the turrets and armor panels I don't want to have to go back and redo things to make them fit. Take a look at the drawings in the area of the side mount 6" guns below the 5" guns and you'll see what I mean... I hope:)

19. Tugboat

I will be at my new house tomorrow watching the cable guys bring joy to the house. No, not the line to the "idiot box", I mean the cable modem. So I'll be able to reply tomorrow when I have the Yamato book in front of me.

The high-angle 5" turrets and the triple 25mm turrets will be made from the hard black rubber. It takes paint well, and withstands fire well also. I will be casting the mains from hard plastic resin for now, and mailing you those. I want to do the laminated ones I talked about earlier, but I can get you a set of turrets faster by doing the hard plastic ones, which will be good in combat, without giving up detail. The turrets on Brian K's Vanguard are made of the hard plastic, and they haven't had a problem in 3 years of use, so I'm confident we'll be good on Yamato.

Side note on turrets: most of them had a separate metal skin for insulation (over the top of the turrets), which will be modelled, but none of the turrets will be oversized, if that's what you're worried about. If I'm not getting what you're asking, clarify for me; I've been working in the house all day and the brain is not quite at full power.

20. Tugboat

Carl, as I get my shop set up and establish priorities, I will be getting the R&D list in order, and 1/96 hulls are on it. (Mogami being one, for the reason I gave above :)