Yamato Secondaries

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

After a couple of attempts to get the fiberglass to work, I decided to give the urethane a go. I carved a plug to use to leave the inside of the turret hollow, and got busy. Alas, very very high humidity caused a lot of bubbling, but the essential details are all there and the mold works as I had hoped. The part I was really worried about was the crispness of the lines along the front top of the turret, and you can see that even with the bubbliness (sp?) that they look good. The gunports are a tad rough, but I'm cleaning those up after casting. The little bulges on top of the ridge, left, are from the bubbling. Get your damn hands off me, you damn dirty humidity! (channeled Charleton Heston a little)
    The sharp-eyed among you will note the lack of rangefinder hoods. Those are being cast separately, and this will let us have a little detail :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mark

Mark Active Member

looks good, gave up on the fiberglass for all turrets?

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yeah, with the gunports at the front, the fiberglass is not getting 100% coverage... left a few bubbles on the outer surface no matter what. Very strong, though. I think for the mains, I'm not going to cut the gunports, so I can use fiberglass. On a turret that size, it'll save weight and be very strong.