1/144 VOTING RESULTS! (too many caps!)

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Having totalled all the votes, from this forum, to the email votes, and the in-person votes... I proudly announce the winners of the first Artwerks 1/144 hull vote!

DKM Lutzow
    [​IMG]

HMS King George V
    [​IMG]

USS Arizona! I had declared Bismarck the winner of this tie vote, but Bob P pointed out to me that Ralph Coles already has a top quality mold for Bismarck, and in keeping with my vow not to duplicate others' work, Bismarck is out of the voting. So, Arizona & Pennsylvania fans, rejoice! Everyone who was hoping for a Bismarck hull, contact Ralph when he safely return from Darfur this fall.

USS Omaha!! (kept you waiting till the end!) Buddy's last minute vote put her over! She's at the end of the list because it'll take time to get plans; I don't have them on hand, but know where to find them. The others I already have. For those interested in the bean-counting... Omaha beat Bismarck and Arizona by 2, counting the late vote (which I did, obviously :)
    [​IMG]

I know it's sad that some good ones didn't win, I wish I could do every ship on the list, right now, but that's not reality. On the positive side, I am working on developing these ships full-time, so development will proceed at a good pace, and more voting will happen sometime early next year. (Remember, I'm doing 1/96 hulls, too, so if that seems like a long time, come down and help!)

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

As I said when I voted all the choices were good ones. I for one will be interested in seeing a 1/144 Omaha hull next to my 1/96 flush decker hull.

That KGV should be nice too.

J.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

There are two Omahas under construction in my club. Last Saturday, one of them was at the garage getting torpedoes and barrels installed. Its superstructure is a bit rough but overall a nice boat. I will report on how they handle on the water, when they hit the water. They're currently scheduled for launch at the October battle.

KGV will be interesting. I am curious if anyone has tried quad sterns, and how that worked out. Was it a real matchstick machine, or just an overpriced target?

Lutzow is a great choice for both fastgun and biggun. Bismark is a somewhat weaker battleship for biggun due to its double turrets, but is still a solid performer. It sounds like you will have your hands full for a while with making all these hulls.

4. Tugboat

Pete Dmitri and someone else in MWC both used quad sterns at Nats this year. The results were pretty devastating. They tear out long skinny strips of balsa (about 1 BB high and around an inch and a half long. Makes me want one, but I don't think anyone would believe HIJMS King George V :)

Carl, I will indeed have my hands full :) But then, that was the goal! I'm making decent progress on Hyuga, I'm working on the casements right now (yes, they will be molded in). I'm doing the port and stbd sections back-to back, then installing them on the plug, so that they'll be exactly opposite each other. I also worked on the Agano & T-103 plugs while Hyuga stuff was drying.

5. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Tugboat,
    If there is to be no duplication of other people's hull molds why is Bismarck on the 1/144 hull project list?

I can see a mold being done for the basic superstructure, but Ralph Coles has a superb Bismarck/Tirpitz hull mold, completed last year.

He is returning from Africa in October and may resume hull production at that time. However, he is willing to sell the Bismarck and other recent hull molds (Iowa, Nelson, Mogami, Strasbourg, Indefatigable) if the negotiated price is reasonable.

Bob Pottle

6. Tugboat

I forgot that Ralph has one. I'm sorry, I should have looked at the SCRAP list before posting, my mistake. Even if he wasn't willing to sell the Bismarck mold, I wouldn't duplicate his work under any circumstances. I would like to negotiate with him for any he is willing to sell, though, at his leisure.

With that pointed out, the people who voted for USS Arizona will be thrilled to learn that the Pennsylvania class (in 1941 configuration) will be replacing Bismarck on the list.

7. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey I would like to bounce an idea how about and Idaho/New Mexico or even the Nevada?

8. Tugboat

Actually, Buddy, ask and ye shall receive... Greg from Basin Shipyards is sending his USS Nevada plug to me! So you get your wish.

9. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Any news on the nevada plug?

10. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Nope. I still have not had a chance to send it to tug. we keep getting caught up :)

11. ironduke1916

ironduke1916 New Member

Where might one find an Arizona hull for sale?

12. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Arizona is a great choice, I really like mine. I'd like to point out (for no reason) BC is selling bismarck hulls now so don't worry about that not making the list of winners.I have a feeling I will be doing another Arizona hull but this time I plan to do "pre- bulged" and put the six casements down the sides and cagemasts

[​IMG]

13. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Guys Ralph also has a great KGV hull I got one from him this summer.

14. ironduke1916

ironduke1916 New Member

rarena - who makes an Arizona hull?

Patrick

15. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

he did, but besides that not too many people, in fact i think you'd have to hand build it.

16. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Swampy used to make them but since he isn't making hulls anymore on a regular basis, I don't believe there is one readily available. Perhaps the Aussies make one?

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

They were made, I believe by Swampworks. They are no longer available til now but there are a few out there and mine is a fiberglass hull.

18. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

How much for a Nevada hull ?

19. sniper97

sniper97 New Member

does anyone have a uss arizona

20. Tugboat

Strike Models has the Arizona...

www.strikemodels.com