1/200 yamato

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Sep 21, 2014.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

But... are you prepared for this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

And back to patching the holes to do it all over again...

[​IMG]

Btw.. the model is 71.92 length by 10.67 inches wide and displacement with all the gear maximum 59.13 lbs.

4. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings:
    I found the level 1 hazmat suit to be a winner.:cool: I take it that there was air conditioning in the workshop. I use my library den to do my work. It is not the most dust friendly:(
    How do you transport a 1:144 scale ship that size on a compact car ? I do not think it can go in a compact car.
    MMJR

5. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Fold down rear seats.

6. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

According to wikipedia, the Yamato and Mushashi themselves were used to move troops and supplies to the Phillipines and other locations due to the space that was available on board.

Yamato running convoy would be interesting:cool:
    MMJR

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

this one probably will not have windows cut it in (yet) but i may after i glass the hull..... need to read up on what actually needs windows and where.

would the fact that is is 1:200 be an issue for convoy as they are speed limited regardless?

starting to need to look at ordering my hardware so i can install props just stuck at do i want 4 prop display or 2 prop and windowed ship.....

also need to go back and look at what sort of motors i need but that requires knowing what power configuration i will go with.... probably just do a single motor with gear distribution.

on the topic of motors and electronics do people prefer waterproof boxes or just waterproofing the individual components?

8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I like just waterproofing each component. Saves lots of space, and makes it easier to diagnose a problem.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That was a old garage connected to a cleaning company business.The garage had no air conditioning.It was hot in there in the summer.Freezing in the winter.I actually built that model in 5 different locations.I transport the models in my Hyundai Accent.I usually carry 3 but I have carried Bismarck Yamato Roma and Missouri in the car.Most times I just take 2.

10. ish311

ish311 Active Member

not cutting windows. did a rough float test (because it's hard not to throw a hull in the water as soon as you finish it.) it floats very even with 2 leaks that are fairly simple to fix. area at teh aft that was not covered completely as i had no glass and small spot at box where i overworked the fiberglass and opened a hole.
    going to order a fiberglass hull sometime in the next few weeks.
    now i need to decide if im going to get a kongo or one of the french mogadors.. i know that the modadors will be much much harder to actually use but it's also about half of what the kongo will cost me.
    going to make this Yamato hull into the Shinano now. making the guns in 1/200 is just going to be to much work for this one off for me. still undecided if i want to do the 4 powered or 2 now that i am certain i am not going to use this as anything but a put put ship.

11. ish311

ish311 Active Member

either allergic to epoxy now or got a fiberglass fragment in a nerve cluster. After trimming the hull i can't feel the left side of my face under my eye very well following where my mask sits.. kinda feels like Novocain is wearing off in that area. but has been going on for 3 days.. so i can't wear my resp till i figure out exactly what the issue is. at least it is getting better now.

working on cursing my shimakaze now, almost got the front re-redone...again. After the glue sets on the repairs i had to make i'm going to set the first 6 ribs and work on finishing the rest. insofar the jig i made for dealing with the slope seems to be working and i need to look at the rules again to see just how large the impenetrable area in the bow can be.

Edit added pictures of the 1/144 Shimakaze sitting on the 1/200 Yamato hull
    and yes that Yamato hull is still very rough. see previous paragraph as why.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]