For Sale 1/96 USS Artemis Attack Cargo and SPARE PARTS

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Stuart, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Stuart

Stuart Member

Hi Guys,

Stu Calvert here from New Zealand.

Some of you may remember me from quite a few years ago - Arthur Buckland and I were building 1/96 ships in New Zealand. I built a USS Gearing and the Artemis while Art was more IJN. We ended up having a single battle between the Gearing and Artemis before I headed to Australia in 2002. I sold the Gearing to Joe Kutz who I understand is now out of the hobby and after a few years got the Artemis to Australia. As Australia is all 1/144 big gun, I dove into that and built and battled very successfully for a few years mainly using a fully armed (with secondaries) USS Massachusetts. I persevered with the secondaries, but they added too much weight, raised the centre of gravity too much (made it unstable when taking on water), and were too much to concentrate on when battling.

Anyway, I'm now back in New Zealand, but have moved on from the hobby and the Artemis is for sale. I did have a stack of build photos on the NZBG club site I maintained on Joe's server, but they have since been removed and I no longer have any photos due to a hard drive crash (I built the plug and mould and I think Arthur has made a few hulls using it over the years). I have taken a stack of photos showing her current condition (which is still very good), so you know what I've got.

I have a her in a wooden box, ready to ship. Box dimensions are: 1400 x 300 x 200, or 55" x 12" x 8" (L x H x W). I don't have a price to ship to the states, but will get quotes if there is any interest.

Price? No idea... Make an offer... It's a really nice ship, but needs radio gear and battery and pump. Stacks of extras included (see second post).

I'm happy to be corrected, but this ship took part in the first 1:96 battle/exchange of fire in the world. I think there were a few operational ships at the time, but no other battles. So here's your chance to get a piece of history!

Some general shots taken outside. A painted black waterline would finish her off nicely.

[​IMG]

There is some patched (and unpatched battle damage - but not much).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a rear deck, but seem to have lost it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I modified a 50 shot piston selector cannon to rotate and cut the barrel to the scale length. The upper portion of the gun rotates on a bearing with machined aluminium adapter secured to the black gear (cog) you can see on the top. The chian is driven by a similar gear (cog) mounted on a standard servo fixed in the ship

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made the AA gun tubs from 1/32" (or thereabouts) aluminium sheet

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The funnels are made from the same aluminium but formed around 3-4 plywood formers that are joined together with thick walled aluminium rod. It's all very strong.

Unfortunately one of the tubs broke off in transit (port aft is missing here, but I still have the part with can be reattached with some reinforcement underneath).

[​IMG]

The port hole placements are correct and I made doors from ABS plastic.

[​IMG]

The SS is made from 3mm (1/8") ABS plastic that was all glued with 2 part PVC plumbers cement. This had a primer (the red stuff) and glue (blue stuff) which melted the plastic together. I also added internal braces to give the sides more rigidity that should stand up to all but the heaviest bombardment i.e. battleships may make a mess of it, but consider it scale damage ;)

[​IMG]

The SS comes apart in 3 main sections.

[​IMG]

I bought a stack of white metal fittings from the scale shipyard, but only got around to adding the 40mm bofors. I will include the rest of the fittings - photos of those down the page.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was quite proud of the trussed mast at the time which had a stand alone mast on top which also broke off in transit somewhere. The mast is made from solid round styrene.

[​IMG]

I also filled in the lower decks which give more survivability (time) when sinking.

[​IMG]

The deck heights are very even and have a nice curve.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I enlarged the rudder as it gets very little prop wash. The shafts and props are in the correct locations and the shaft struts are aerofoil aluminium sections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the ship with no internals.

[​IMG]

The float is in the bow this a reel to keep in clean and free.

All the ribs have been backed with laminated timber using West System epoxy resin and glue. They're not going anywhere.

[​IMG]

I installed angled balsa water channelling which was then sealed with epoxy resin.

[​IMG]

The ship come with the motors and cannon, but no battery, radio gear or servos. Note the stainless grease nipples on the stuffing tubes.

[​IMG]

More photos and descriptions coming...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Stuart

Stuart Member

Watertight radio box (with holes for wiring - use silicon sealant), 12g CO2 cartridge holder, regulator, 50 shot cannon.

[​IMG]

Close up of the rotating cannon. The bearing is a location fit on the upright and rotates the upper portion of the cannon. There is stack of spare chain.

[​IMG]

How it all sits in the stern of the ship.

[​IMG]

The rear mount is for the rudder servo and the forward mount is for the cannon rotate servo (where the chain is).

[​IMG]

Radio box location. The epoxied in timber blocks are to hold the 7Ah lead acid battery.

[​IMG]

I also have a heap of 1/96 scale white metal fittings from the scale shipyard.

[​IMG]

14 x single 20mm AA, 2 x twin 20mm AA, and a spare twin 40mm AA. The white metal cleans up well with needle files (use chalk to stop them clogging up) and the barrels and other items bend straight.

[​IMG]

Boat winches, 4 x fire hose reels, radar, 2 x 36" search lights and 2 x 24" search lights plus bollards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 x paravanes, 4 x deck hatches, 3 x anchors, 6 x deck bolsters, depth charges, CO2 extinguishers, life rings, peloruses.

[​IMG]

12 x life rafts and rear gun fitting.

[​IMG]

Scale length chain (for anchors).

[​IMG]

Some close ups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clippard fitting. These are 2 way poppet valves (and spare o-rings for the cannon).

[​IMG]

Universals and drive components. The black units in the bottom left are Maxx reduction boxes with a selection of 3 gears each.

[​IMG]

A selection of drive motors, with 3 random geared motors on the right. Also a couple of 10k pots that I used to modify my transmitter for rotating cannon and a couple of fire buttons (also for radio mods).

[​IMG]

The electronize motors are really good.

[​IMG]

One Graupner speed 280 6V.

[​IMG]

That's it (and it probably enough photos, but at least you know what I've got).

Cheers and have a good weekend!

Stu

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Stu,
    She's a great ship, I have an Artemis to, but there nearly that nice!
    Nikki

4. Stuart

Stuart Member

Hi Nikki,

I like her too. The reason I choose to build her, is that (if I recall correctly) the Artemis is a few knots faster than the liberty ships and also liberty ships are a dime a dozen and I wanted to build something different.

I found the build diary for your Artemis, but couldn't find finished photos of it. Do you have any posted that you can post a link too?

Stu

5. NASAAN101

there not many good photo of her, Only cause she's not with me, I left her with a friend, cause she's was two big to move back and fourth!!
    Nikki

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  7. NASAAN101

My little girl, has a big butt, same as Me :D
    Nikki

8. Stuart

Stuart Member

Hi Nikki. She looks very nice.I like that you have armed her with the single cannon at the stern. I found that she was quite hard to turn, so I modified the cannon to rotate which worked really well.

Stu

9. NASAAN101

I wish she had a bigger rudder area, that's might help some. But all my ships are getting the chain drive on them. But once my 96scale tribal class DD is up and running. Artie as she's known will me two be a display ship..
    Nikki

10. August Thunder

August Thunder New Member

what scale is she

11. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

It's in the title of this thread at the top of the page.

12. August Thunder

August Thunder New Member

Sorry and thank you

13. RcShip556

RcShip556 Member

Still for sale? I am very interested. Do you have any others?

14. Stuart

Stuart Member

Yes still for sale and it needs to go. Make me an offer if you're keen,

Cheers,
    Stu

15. NASAAN101

RcShip556,
    She's 96 scale. The only doing it id MNCC in Ohio.
    Nikki

16. RcShip556

RcShip556 Member

Cool,let me think about it!

17. Stuart

Stuart Member

Hi Guys,

I'm having a good shed clean out and the Artemis has to go.

I'm not sure how much shipping will be, but I'll box it all up and have it delivered for US$400 if someone will take it all off my hands for that. Otherwise make me an offer.

Cheers,
    Stu

18. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Great looking ship! Unfortunately I am IRC (1/144th. scale) so can not use it. I think there was another 96th scale club in Washington State. And of course there a plenty of scale clubs which drive 1/98.

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Nope, no 96th here.

20. NASAAN101

if i didn't already have one :D
    Nikki