18 Gun Brig Syren

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by McSpuds, Oct 16, 2013.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

After hitting a wall on the Constitution because of bad plans I was forced to go back to my plans inventory to see what I had. The first ship I was going to build for the AOS format was the Syren, but I backed off because of the size. She would only measure 23.5 inches at the deck and that was not much room! But after looking her over once more I have decided to build her. I have been working on a POB build of this ship in 1:64 scale as a model so I have a very good set of plans that I know for sure are correct.
    So here goes yet another ship being laid down in the shop.
    The US Brig Syren is a 18 gun brig with 2 masts. She measures 94.3 feet and will end up 23.5"..
    First step of course was to get my plans enlarged to 1:48 scale. Easy on this one... 133% did the trick and for $7.48 I have a nice set of plans for the Syren that include Hull profiles, bulkhead templates, deck templates, full rigging, and all the misc parts.. this is a full set of drawings and they came out with very nice thin, sharp lines this time as well.

[​IMG]

For a larger view click here!

[​IMG]

Now came the time to draw in all the lines needed to change the POB templates over to a POF template set. I first leveled out the decks..(this was the issue with the cony...) This was easy this time because all the bulkheads have the gunwales to measure from. The cony did not have gunwales on every bulkhead so it woulod be very messy to try and guess where the decks ended at verticly.
    Anyway, after leveling the decks I shortened the 1/4" slot for the keel to match the new thinner keel plate or bulkhead former. Then I took a contour guide and created all the frames and the areas to be cut out. On the POB build all these would remain but time for them to be trimmed out. I left a brace across eack frame to help keep the frame straight when I build. After the frame is set and glued up I will remove most of the cross braces..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, I use a very old CAD tool to create the frames to be cut out on the plywood.... (pencil, and carbon paper) :laugh:
    [​IMG]

The CAD works well.... :p
    [​IMG]

Some thin lines at the keel will have to be drawn carefully...
    [​IMG]

Now that all the frames and keel are transfered to the wood via carbon paper I am ready to cut them out...
    [​IMG]

Now its time to use my scroll saw and cut out the frames... more to come later.

2. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Once I had the ribs all marked out, it was time to cut them out. I always try to leave a litte wood on the marks, then sand them later to the lines.
    [​IMG]

Here is my poormans spindle sander! :cool: I am sanding the ribs down to the lines and smoothing the cuts.

[​IMG]

First dry fit goes well...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

I have a temp stringer I used to line up the frames while I was fairing out the ribs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bulkhead plans did not have a deck! The original model was planked.. SO I had to draw up a deck.. so fun.. Here is the test fit.

[​IMG]

Darn curves o_O I had to kerf the wood to meet the curve in the deck...

[​IMG]

I used my mini table saw... worked like a charm! :laugh:

[​IMG]

Close up of the kerfs

[​IMG]

Much better dry fit! You can see where I left the cross braces... they are where the two mast are connected... good to have the braces there..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to strengthen the bow section a little! A lot of sanding here to gget the shape needed.

[​IMG]

You can see the "Bearding line" at the bottom...

[​IMG]

Glueing the subdeck plate on

[​IMG]

Well, I still have my Mutsu to finish, so I will be holding this build up just a little... Probably back onto it around the end of November.

3. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Nice pics and ideas for building in the future. Thanks

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Very pretty, but she'll be tough to arm :) Your craftsmanship is impressive :)

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yea, size is a issue with her.... I am waiting to see if the cony kit gets done soon.. if so I will buy a kit as well and build the cony instead.. more room!

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Wow, that is some great work there. I, like you, prefer the old-school method of design. Very interesting to see some of your methods.

Room isn't the biggest issue on the smaller AOS ships, it's weight. A ship like that will not have much spare mass for its extended bulb keel. That, in turn, will limit the weather you can sail in, and how much sail you'll be able to carry for a given wind condition. I am also looking forward to the Constitution kit, I hope it is ready soon.

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Are we close to having the hull ready for laser cutting? I will pay for the plans to send off if thats the issue....

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Room is a big issue as well... you factor in the number of guns, the air required to arm them... that alone will fill the hull.... still need to add poppets or kips, servos for rudder and sails.... then a kill switch for the guns.... small battery for servos and kips.... there just isn't any dam room for all that.. I amy just fit her out for a trainer... use it to teach rookies how to sail a square rigger..

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Since a small capacity battery is all you'll need, maybe build a watertight compartment in the bulb keel for 4 D cell batteries and put the weight to good use...

10. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Good thought... I also was thinking about placing the air bottle in the bulb keel.... not just for the Syren, but the Cony too... I could run the air line through the brace into the bottom of the hull..... would make a "slim tube" to slide the bottle into and a cap or lid for it..