1900 era RN steam pinnace plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by rcengr, Feb 22, 2018.

1. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I'm working on my British pre-dreadnought and would like to make some steam pinnaces for it. It had both 55' or 56' pinnaces as well as 40' pinnaces. I'm looking mostly for drawings of the top side detail, I can wing the hull if I need to.

boat 1.png
    boat 2.jpg

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

There are some line drawings of the 50' and 45' Steam Pinnaces that were aboard HMS Dreadnought in the Anatomy of The Ship book. They look very similar to the ones in the photo you included.
    PS. Which British pre-dred are you building?

3. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I'm building an HMS Irresistible - a Formidable class PDN. Do the drawings have enough detail to make a model from? I've used my AOTS books to make my US and IJN lifeboats.

4. Xanthar

Cool. I can't wait to see it. The small boat drawings in the Dreadnought book are pretty similar to the ones in the Yamato book. They are top plan views and side elevations. Probably enough detail for 1/144th scale.

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Great, I'll see about picking up a copy. Detail doesn't have to be great, just enough to get proportions right and understand the shapes.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'm never sure of their accuracy on this stuff, but the russians have something to offer on the matter of the Dreadnought... (full size in the zip) 18 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

8. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Sweet! Those drawings will help out a lot.

9. Xanthar

10. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Thanks again for all the help. I've made 40', 45', and 51' steam launches.
    RN Steam Launches.JPG

Xanthar, Beaver and NickMyers like this.
  11. Xanthar

Nice! I hadn't seen the top one before. The middle one looks great painted up. Thanks for sharing the STLs!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  12. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Saw these in person today. Great work as always Mark.

13. Paul Williams

Paul Williams New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and spotted the post about steam pinnaces - some great little models you have produced there.
    However - can anyone help with drawings of the Royal Navy 56 foot steam pinnace with side by side twin funnels ?
    Photos also very welcome !
    Any help much appreciated.
    Paul

14. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

40ft_pinnace.jpg The only twin funnel plans that I found was for a 40' pinnance.

15. Paul Williams

Paul Williams New Member

What a great drawing - lovely in its own right and whilst its not the boat I was looking for, it would certainly make a very nice model.
    Its strange that whilst the 50ft pinnace has been the subject of several plans and kits, the 40, 45 and 56ft boats are almost unknown except for very small models on 1/96 capital ships !
    Many thanks for going to the trouble
    Paul

16. Xanthar

17. Paul Williams

Paul Williams New Member

Wow now that is interesting because I am very interested in pinnaces fitted with the side drop torpedoes.
    Despite the description, I doubt this is a 56ft pinnace, and I suspect the hull has been made proportionately deeper (?) to accommodate the steam engine.
    But its a really interesting reference which I probably would not have found.
    Many thanks
    Paul

18. Xanthar

19. Paul Williams

Paul Williams New Member

Xanthar, that's brilliant. Yes I am pretty sure its the 56ft pinnace and it appears to closely resemble a model that was on display at the Science Museum some decades ago (and has now disappeared ???).
    I sighed when I realised your model was in an Australian Museum, until I realised the model had been bought in England.
    The propshaft and rudder look different but then its a working model and we don't know if compromises were made.
    Definite progress - many thanks.
    It continues to surprise me that drawings of anything other than the 50ft pinnace ae scarce or non existent, especially as they are such great subjects for modelling. It would be nice to gather a set of drawings together as a resource for modellers, so with your help I will continue to search.
    I see at the start of the thread, that there are some plan and side elevations of the 45ft pinnace, could anyone help with a scan perhaps ?
    Paul