1st Battle

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Jay Jennings, May 3, 2009.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

OK people, we need to get things on the go. The ice is gone, some boats are running and now we need to SINK STUFF!!!!!! Next weekend is probably no good being Mother's Day and all, and the following weekend is the Vivtoria Day long weekend, so how about the weekend after that, the 23-24 weekend? I am not sure if Uniacke house is open or not so we may need to improvise. Let me know what everyone thinks, the more boats the better. Now things can happen before then as well. Just post if you are avaiable and see who can play. I for one can play Next Sunday, the wife is working. Leys get things going!!
    J

2. Jay Jennings

Does anyone else have a boat ready?????? It would be good if there was someone for me to shoot at, other than just Steve Crane. Come on people it is mid May!! Let me know,
    J

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Jay,
    I'm on call for the week that includes May 23-24. Uniacke House is beyond the 20 min. response time to get to the hospital if called, so I'll attend the next battle.
    Bob

4. Jay Jennings

Well, the Uniacke park isn't open yet I don't think. I'm not sure when we can start battling there. I was thinking of maybe looking into the Grove if possible. There is also a lake near where Malcolm lives. More to follow.
    J

5. Ian

Ian Member

umm... hood isn't ready yet.... and i'm gone sailing next week won't be back till the end of june ( well, maybe for a weekend)

6. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Wait on uniacke house for a bit, its run by the HRM this year and there are a few things to work out, i have emails out and am waiting for answers

7. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Count me in if it's a go, just need a date,time an place. USS Little Rock will be there and probably Sangamon(Yes Jay, I know how much you want to shoot her up)

8. Jay Jennings

Excellent, the more the merrier!! I guess we could use the grove, does anyone know if there is anything on at the grove on the weekend?
    J

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Bluenose Marathon this weekend.
    I'll stick it out there, I want to shoot something, so I say Sunday the 24th at the Grove in the AM, that way Bob can make it, and it gives everyone a little extra time so hopefully we'll have a good turnout. Sangamon will be there so anybody shipless can run her.

10. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Bob, Jay and I are looking at a couple of sites within 20m of the hospitals. I will get him to post an update as my acess to the internet will be spotty while I am in Halifax.

11. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

I am planning a trial run with the Tirpitz sometme this weekend. She is ready except for her guns (and secondary turrets and numerous other doo-dads)
    I won't be in town Sunday Morning, but I"ll look at the grove as I pass by on the way home early in the afternoon.
    If everyone is gone by then I might go to Shubie park, either in the evening or on Monday morning.

12. Jay Jennings

Rob, no one is scheduled to go out, we haven't had enough replies and only Scott committed himself to go out . We also don't have anything set for a location.
    Hopefully the weather will improve and we can at least get some speed trials or just running about.
    J

13. Jay Jennings

If the weather is not too bad, Steve Crane and I are going to run our boats on Monday afternoon, I am thinking of the beach at First Lake here in Sackville, but is the marathon still on tomorrow? If we use the Grove we can get some speed trials done, I need them, and maybe the odd cannon firing, it is also more public and will give us some exposure. We would love to get some more boats out there so come on out!!! Let me know here if anyone wants to come out and play. If no one else is going to come out, we will stay in Sackville.
    J

14. slow_and_ugly

[​IMG]

Hi,
    I had Tirpitz at Shubie park this evening. I remember now why I like little boats -- that thing is heavy! And it doesn't fit in the damn car. Looks pretty though.
    Floated almost at its waterline, a tiny bit light in the bow. But it is way too sssssssslooooooooooowwwwww......Glacial in fact. Doesn't turn worth a damn, but that's probably due to the (lack of) speed. I brought it in after a very brief runé
    It is running a geared motor -- I will try a direct drive. It's a quick fix so I might get another try at it tomorrow.

15. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It still looks good out on the water.

16. Jay Jennings

Looks good Rob! There may be a few more boats out there than we think.
    You gonna come out to the grove Rob?

17. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Sounds like th Bismarck after being attacked by the swordfish. Haha.
    Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.
    Mikey

18. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

It looks great out there.
    Well done.
    Mikey

19. slow_and_ugly

Hi,
    Well I think I found the problem. I swapped the motor, which I thought was a 6v 550, for another, which I know is 6v 550.
    Much more ooommmpphhh. Will try again sometime this week (weather is not co-operating today).

In the meantime I will try to find the masts I made and put on the secondary turrets. Maybe put the floats on my very crude Arado.

20. Jay Jennings

Well, our first battle ended up being a speed testing, reliability verification, cannon mounting and tweaking session. In all we had Scharnhorst, Nagato, Lutzow, the Sinker Maru and Hood show up. There was good work done by all and hopefully we can get a battle soon, maybe this coming weekend????? We should take advantage of the cooler water and no swimmers. Post up here if you are available.

I was talking to John and we have a meeting with HRM in the first week of June to find out about the Uniacke House park.

J