1st time ships

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by DeletedUser, Apr 23, 2008.

1. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was confused!

I found the plans in the file manager.
    I think that will be Perfect for me to make a start on.

Its going to be some time until i can start a build as i'm in the process of moving, but that in its self is very very cool as me and my Wife have just bought our fisrt home and it floats!

Anyone know the correct scale bb guns for a 60ft long 6ft10" wide 13 tonne narrow boat? [:)]

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Hmm... Scale weight is gonna be pretty low :)

3. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Actually i figure i can just drop a bowling ball off the side.....
    and call it a depth charge....[}:)]

4. Mike Horne

Mike Horne Active Member

Ah, I forgot to cut and paste the link! Apologies!

Mike

5. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'd say that a bowling ball is a bit closer to the Bikini Atoll atomic tests, especially if you score a direct hit...

6. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Very true gascan, seriously though, it is a dream come true to like on a boat, but in tearms of building rc boats its going to cause me lots of headaches just due to the lack of space i have to work in.

It does mean I have a good hull testing ground right outside though [:D]

I have a few friends who I think will be really interested in this, so I hope if i can work in restricted space and do a good job of building a convoy ship I can interest them in it, two of them have decent workshops so here's hopeing...

7. Tugboat

Just make sure you have a recovery system installed on your ships before float-testing them :)

8. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

...or test them in a bathtub.

9. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

No bath on board i'm afraid just showers.

Just a quick question

I really like the idea of scratch building the maru hull, but would the hardware kit that battlers connection do for their liberty ship be ideal for the Maru?

With the exchange rate the way it is, If the liberty hardware kit has most of the needed propulsion parts its probably cheaper to buy it from the States than here.

What do you guys think?

Also I Must say ( in my best British accent )
    You chaps really are most awfully decent to help a fellow out like this. [:)]

10. Tugboat

Hi Johnny,
    The Liberty ship bits will do wonderfully in a Maru hull. No question about it.

Tugboat

11. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'm just going down the list of hardware here. The 365 motor is what we are using for our little transports. They are 2/3 the size, but the power is similar. I don't think that you will need a universal from them. I used a short length of fuel line (meant for rc cars and planes). For props, I like the 1-1/4" (about 30mm) diameter props with 25 degree pitch. 45 degree is too much for these boats. You could probably get away with a 1" prop, and either three blades or four blades will be fine. Their prop shafts and stuffing tubes are good, as well. The only real problem that I can think of will be rudders. The BC rudders have a wonderful airfoil cross-section, and are fine for most ships, but if you put a BC rudder on the Mehoshi Maru you won't have room for the prop. You would probably have to make your own, but that's simply a matter of cutting some brass sheet to size and soldering it onto a shaft. Not a big deal, as long as you know the business end of a hacksaw from the blunt end.

Lastly, it looks like the BC hardware kit for the Liberty Ship uses a 500-size motor and a gearbox with an on/off/reverse speed controller. Those gearboxes are expensive and, in a ship the size of the Mehoshi, totally unnecessary. In my opinion, you would be best off purchasing the prop, stuffing tube, and motor from Battler's Connection, and then make your own rudder and buy a quality ESC from Mtroniks.

12. johnny6string

johnny6string New Member

Thanks for the advice gascan.
    I have an old 2 chan system canabalised from an old rc car that i need to get from my folks attic I know that the motor will be the wrong kind but im not sure about the rest of it.

Hope full i can get the Items you described and use my existing control units and servos to run it ( if it all still works! )