2.4ghz Rx placement

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by CURT, Apr 13, 2010.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Hi guys. I need to know if there is anything unusual about these receivors regarding how their placed inside the hull. I have the FUTUBA 2.4GHZ Radio and looking at the instruction states that the antennes on the receivor must be kept straight or away from each other 90 degrees apart. Apparently it will shorten the range if they are close to each other or overlap each other. I am new to this type of Tx radio. Any quirks about it you guys have had experienced or what you did to resolve it I like to know so I don't run out of control at IRCWCC NATS.
    Thanks.

2. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

yeah, i a simalare Rx in a heli i have, basicaly just do what the manual says, keep the wires apart, as for placing in a hull it proberbly wont matter where it is, in my heli its right under the motor next to a speed controller, and some servos, and it works no probs
    oh and whatever you do dont bend the Rx antennas at a 90 degree angle as it will shorten the range of the radio, lernt that the hard way in my rc car, bent the antanna to fit into the body, went out of range and ran into a wall breaking both a arms and bending the cvds, not fun...

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

for range sake, put it as far away from the water and anything conductive as possible... I've taken to putting the tiny RX either up in the superstructure or have the antennas go up the superstructure if long enough. It may be worth calling futaba, as I have heard about extra long antennas being available for some of their 2.4ghz receivers. by extra long I mean they basically have the standard antenna at the end of some fancy cable.

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I've kept my reciever in the bowels of my VDT for 3 years without any issue, antenna's wraped up and bended funny and everything. I dont really mind a minor reduction in range since they are designed to fly planes the range on them tends to me longer than we would ever use anyway. The 2.4ghz signal doesnt cut through water well but even with it in the middle of the hull I havent seen any problems with that, but if you sink you cant fire your guns to find yourself.

5. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Transmitter batteries usually suck so upgrade them to something that will have more power longer

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

What about waterproofing the Recievor? I have mine mostly tool dipped and plan to seal the plugs and wrap the receivor in a balloon then bag it. I like extra protection and it works for Yamato. I was wondering if Tool dipped and sealed will it still work if submerged?
    Thanks for those points guys. I think I may move the receiveor up in the superstructure and attach it beneath the main deck hatch. I am used to operating my models at long range when cruising around and battling I like to go the distance sometimes. This info is very helpful Thankyou.

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

For waterproofing the reciever epoxy works great. Waterproof, tough, and you can still see the blinking lights. Especially with 2.4ghz and the lack of crystals to change there really arent any significant downsides.

8. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

I coated mine with scotch cote and have it placed in a box in the middle of my boat and so far have had no problems after two sinks. I would guess I've had it to about 30-35 yds out on the water. I'll have to do a distance test so I know exactly how far it will work.

9. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

hey curt, on my futaba 2.4 rx I just put a piece of tape over the bind button and then gave it a couple coats of tool dip after I added the servo leads, it is mounted inside the first level of SS on the Little Rock. No problems what so ever.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok sounds good to me so far guys. Lots of options to choose from and they all work. That's even better. Getting more comfortable with this new Technology.

One last question. These Radios are equipped with FailSafes. Has anyone set this up on thier radio and if so have you yet to use the failsafe ? Any info on that would be great. I am not sure if I should setup a failsafe in case the RX loses signal.

11. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

We tend to stay away from the tool dip because moisture can get under it and cause it to peel. Epoxy is really the best because it aint never leaking after that. Scotchcote is second best as you can get back into it. I have mine in a block of wax cause it was what I had at the time. That was 2004 and it is still in it. Probably not a great recommendation for warmer climates for obvious reasons...

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok any suggestions as to what battery and where I can get for my FUTUBA 2.4GHZ FASST TX? I was wondering if I could get away with a Nmhd battery if I modified the connector to fit the plug in tx as another option?

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You may want to have a fail safe so that if you lose connection, your guns are not firing or your motors are still moving.

14. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Your Tx didn't come with a battery preinstalled?

15. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

The futaba has a built-in failsafe function.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

It came with a battery preinstalled but I am looking for a battery with more than just 600 mah . 1200 or more will suffice.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Any idea how to turn off the failsafe alarm? I don't want that continously ringing it drives me nuts. o_O

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ther receivor is waterproofed and so far its working fine. Just some minor adjustments to placement. It looks like a cockroach instead of a receivor. I'll post pics to show you what I mean in a few days.

19. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member