2.4ghz Rx placement

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by CURT, Apr 13, 2010.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

So far it's working well.

4. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hmm. Tooldip. It will work just fine until it delaminates over time, at which point, corrosion will set in, of course. I would scotchkote those antenna ends, at least.... Otherwise thwater will wick in and rot the antennas.

Cheers,

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The receivor should be just fine as the box is sealed tight and the recievor has 3 coats over it. Should be a long time before that delaminates. Even if it does the box outside seams are sealed with Marine Goop. The Antenneas are sealed at the entrance points with Marine Goop however I will scotchcoat the Antennae leads. Thanks.

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Interestingly, having multiple coats of tooldip does little or nothing to prevent the delamination from the original surface. Might even exacerbate it (by causing additional shrinkage pressure over time).
    Would certainly have been easier to just open up the RX and scotchkote the board, and close it back up. Took me about 10 minutes or less to do mine. Ne separate box, no extra leads, no extra weight.
    Of course, I have an old Airtronics that I sealed with glying leads in heavy duty shrinkwrap aith heavy duty silicone sealer at the ends when I started out. Seemed a good idea and worked until I started scotchkoting radios, at which time I retired it to the spares bin somewhere.
    Cheers,

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

What does this Scotchkote look like and where do I get it ?

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I have a spare receiveor so I would like to try the Scotchkote method on it.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I never lost a receivor to water immersion before using current methods of which a variety I use. The Scotchkote is one of few things I have yet to try.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

[​IMG]
    When it dries its sort of a translucent sickly brown color. Out here you used to be able to find it in the electrical section at hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot, but I haven't seen any lately. Believe its still available online, but don't know about places to buy it in canada.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks. I think we can get that here as well. Will have to shop around and check the variousl places for this stuff. Looks pretty toxic. I'll have to wait for the weather to be more favourable to use this stuff outside with a mask.

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

You will find that it smells bad when wet and is pretty ugly (looks like a small animal had diarrhea on the circuit board), but works a treat. And, if you need to do repairs (say, soldering on a new antenna wire), it readily burns off with a soldering iron.
    Kind of sticky and gooey/stringy - I like to use latex gloves when using it - sticks very well to skin, clothes, etc. as well as circuit boards/wires.
    If you are careful with it, and don't get it all over the outside of the can's lid threads, you will be much happier the next time you try to use it.:)

Cheers,

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the tips.

14. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Our local Lowes stopped carrying it, have to purchase online now.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I didn't see any here. I may have to go the online route.

16. wrenow

wrenow RIP

You might try local indusrisl/electrical/marine supply places. A few phone calls amy help.
    Cheers.

Wreno

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Thanks I will try that too.