2oz co2 cartridges (NewOldStock)

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by buttsakauf, Jul 11, 2012.

1. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Here is the story. I was putzing around looking at various co2 cartridges when I stumbled across these cartridges on ebay. 2oz of co2 in a cartridge that weighs 8.2oz (I double checked that weight). They are old (1960's-70's). Cost after shipping... approx. $1 each. I have 72 of them now:whistling: If all other accounts are correct 16grams of co2 can fire 50 rounds with a smidge of pressure left over. This cartridge is approx. 56.7g. Which means they should be good for tweak session and 175 shots from a standard cannon. With the high flow Stalnaker Mangus (SM) cannons I fear my number of shots might drop. However we will see.

Weight facts:
    6.2oz (2oz capacity) cartridge+ 1oz adapter+ 4oz regulator= 13.2 oz+-
    13.3oz (3.5oz capacity) tank+ 4oz regulator= 20.8oz+-
    Potential in other formats... OH YES!! First thoughts. My Wind Class icebreaker and my Henry IV. Second thoughts. Those cruisers and destroyers that could use more than 16g but are too small or top heavy with a 3.5oz tank setup. It is almost a half pound of weight savings for that cartridge. A good example. Java class cruiser. Might be able to squeeze 200 rounds (2 sorties worth) out of that tank if it is a very tight (leakage wise) setup. A great use for that size of vessel though... a Z-35 or Gearing destroyer. 3 sorties for a buck! I might even put these in my Capitani Romani just for fun. I would like have an onboard air supply. Lots to think about:D
    [​IMG]

2. buttsakauf

I just noticed it looks like I have stubby little cabbage hands.......lol!!! They are somewhat thick... but not quite sausagesque;-)

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Lol almost looks like Toe-fingers...

4. buttsakauf

The cartridge is 1.5" wide and 4.5" long. Threads are .5" by 20. Found a manufacture date on a box... June 1966!

5. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Those cartridges are almost as old as I am!
    They're very probably obsolete, but hey, if they work, you'll get your money's worth out of them.

6. buttsakauf

I doubt they are obsolete... otherwise I wouldn't have spent the money:) I used the internet to it's fullest to research them beforehand. The threads are a common type and easily adapted to all regulators commonly used in this hobby. Co2 tanks (and cartridges I assume) under 2" in diameter never require a "hydro" by the consumer. If it still weighs 8.2oz then no liquid co2 has been lost.
    A physical failure upon utilization is the only thing I can think of as an issue. However, the boxes these came in (original manufacturer's packaging) are of a very thin cardboard that is very suseptible to high humidity and temperature fluxuations. That packaging is in pristine condition and that indicates storage in a temperature/ humidity controlled environment. I think they will work like a charm. I found some old powerlets (cartridges) for a bb gun once and they worked like new. Granted they were *only* 25 years old.

Anyone have a ship that comes to mind that seems like an ideal application?

7. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I-400 submarine. I also found a supply of old CO2 cartridges, I'll check them when I can get to them and compare the dates. Any idea where I could get an adapter for these cartirdges that has a valve and piercing capability?
    J

8. buttsakauf

Why put the on/off ability on the adapter? I would just put it downstream of the regulator in the form of a quick disconnect with a back check. Palmer-Pursuit sells 3-4oz regulators that are dead reliable when lubricated before every use and you can get the appropriate adapter with piercing ability too. The on/off can be done right off the adapter in the form of an ASA (AirSourceAdapter). Then have a regulator with 1/8" NPT input and outputs.

9. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    These cartridges have been found and used before for small ships in the 1990s. Then the supply dried up. Good find. I still have one. Make sure you get extra pins for the piercing adapter, they wear out.
    Ron Hunt

10. buttsakauf

Will do. Good suggestion:) Got any applications that seem a perfect to you?

11. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Cool, I will check that out.
    J