3 Turrets, 5 that fire???

Discussion in 'General' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 3, 2007.

1. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

I have noticed something that that has puzzled me for the last week or so. battlers connection sells the USS north carolina, in the discription it says the ship has three turrets. the cannon kit it offers inlcudes five turrets! now im no mathamatition, but i know something is wrong there...

http://www.battlersconnection.com/html/northcarolina.html
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/PhotoGallery/Default.aspx?image=56
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/PhotoGallery/Default.aspx?image=12
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/PhotoGallery/Default.aspx?image=111

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It still only has 3 turrets; the cannon kit is a 5 unit kit: 5 cannons. You can put them in the 3 turrets as you like (in fast gun rules), as long as you don't have too many side mounted cannons (for a NC, most people do triple sterns, and one side mount on each side in the two forward turrets).

3. Tugboat

And if you come to the May battle in Savannah, you can look at 3 different North Carolinas...

4. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

okay so what do i do with the other turrets? and what are side mounted cannons?

5. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

also can i just make all of them triple fire?

6. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

In fast gun the rules are roughly as follows. You get a certain number of units. these units can be used as offensive/defensive and generally speaking on battleships can not be split up into half units (e.g. 1 unit of cannon can not be used as two half units)

With the exception of the largest ships (I am not sure whether the NC falls into this class), you are allowed a single side facing cannon per side of the ship. (sidemount)

The one NC I have seen up my way had 3 cannons facing aft and then a single cannon in the A & B turrets one pointing to port, one to starboard. (for a total of 5 units of cannon) and a single unit pump (for a total of 6 battle units)

7. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well im not sure where i saw this but it said somewhere in a rule book i saw that small gun is aloud to have eight units. ( i think, im not entirely sure ) but three triple fire is nine units, meaning that i can only have two triple fire a single fire cannon and a pump?

8. klibben

klibben Member

i maya be wrong but i dont think the NC is 8 units, few ships are.

9. Tugboat

A NC is 6 units... 5 guns and one pump. Or 5 pumps and one gun. Or some combo thereof.

And Klibben... the Maya is a Japanese Takao-class heavy cruiser ;)

10. klibben

klibben Member

where did Maya come into this? its not 8 units is it?!

11. GregMcFadden

the only two 8 unit ships are the Iowa class and Yamato class

12. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

yamato is an extremely large ship, i would not go near it in battle!

13. klibben

klibben Member

luckily Yamato is on my side (my club has one) .... seeing as i'm only a cruiser i just hide behind it ! haha.

14. Tugboat

LOL that's what I get for trying to be funny.

15. klibben

klibben Member

oh, haha!

16. GregMcFadden

You'd be surprised... a Yamato can be relatively easy to deal with if you are not by your lonesome. I used to run a Yamato, and as long as people came at me in packs, While I could usually minimize my own damage, I also rarely got many good shots off. Just be warned, Yamato's will turn quite well compared to other ships out there if they are set up correctly and can also take one hell of a beating. I took several hundred belows in one sortie with no serious threat of sinking.

17. klibben

klibben Member

Yeah, i'd hate to have to patch a Yamato... they sure do get eatin up! Whenever the Yamato joins the fight, the allies (with mostly capital ships) split into wolfpacks .... usually two rotate between picking on the yamato and richeliue, making it impossible to avoid fire, and the other keeps away the rest of the axis fleet.

18. GregMcFadden

Well, I usually was the center of attention... and since the bulk of the fleet at the time was 26 or 28 second battleships/battle cruisers I engaged at will and could escape at will. There was a NC that learned the hard way how effective range adjustment can be but by and large, engagements were on my terms... luckily many of the ships were low enough to the water that the wave that came off a sharp turn can put a lot of water over their decks..

19. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well ive heard that some people take advantage of that ship by under its cannons ( which is pretty easy to use if you have a cruiser ) and take a few shots and the ship is gone, thats its weakness

20. klibben

klibben Member

wait, what? shoot under the cannons? i dont see how that accomplishes anything different.... the thing is massive, unless you ram it good and hard, she's gonna take a while to go down no matter how much you shoot her.