3 Turrets, 5 that fire???

Discussion in 'General' started by pew-pew-pew, Apr 3, 2007.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

That depends on the game one is playing. In fast gun, cruisers have no way to attack to the sides of the ship per the rules. In big gun things are different. You can get under the cannons but most of the ships capable of that in fast gun are slow enough that the yamato can simply take a few rounds in the large hide and keep going past them. Cruisers are not a terrible threat, they simply lack enough ammo and usually are not good enough shots to put their rounds where they can really hurt (bow)

2. klibben

klibben Member

I have good aim with my cruiser? Just sail towards the enemy ship, fire off your shot, turn, and get the hell outta there!

Unfortunately the bow on my Kumano is angled enough that i cant have my gun straight ahead without hitting the deck, but on my old Augusta i had her aimed dead ahead and just barely below the horizon.... she could fire nearly 5 feet and hit her target, i had no reason to go hug a battleship.

3. GregMcFadden

Well, we will have to play sometime :) My tirpitz will be looking for some fresh meat when finished ;)

As far as aiming at distance, while a person could rather easily get above the waterline shots there was only about a 6" by 1" area above the waterline where one could actually hurt my old yamato with Above hits (other than points and we oh so rarely count anything but sinks here...)

4. klibben

klibben Member

yeah, its hard to sink em from afar, but you still do damage while minimizing your own. If you've got a tirpitz then we wont be shooting each other.

On a side note however, if my new convoy actually works i could use a good tirpitz to protect me.... i'll post pictures later, however at the moment its top secret.

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Oooh, a top-secret project! Tell us, we must know ;)

I agree, plinking away at someone from 5 feet isn't gonna kill them. My Big-Gun torpedo-cruiser is a killer because it gets up close and personal (about 3 to 5 inches apart) and unloads one monster whack from its torpedoes. Most of my targets cannot depress their guns enough to score a killing hit on me at that range, and most skippers in the WWCC don't shoot during my vulnerable approach and retreat, so I act without fear of retaliation. After all, what's a bunch of holes in the grey compared to a sunken ship?

Actually, here's an interesting idea. If your opponent has fixed guns and you know what range they hit at, set your guns to hit just outside this range and outdistance him. You may even want a two-position switch that controls gun depression, so you can have a "close" setting and a "far" setting. What do you guys think?

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I know that Brian Koehler's ranging guns got tested this weekend and they were cool. Very handy.

7. klibben

klibben Member

Carl,

as soon as i unveil it to my local club i'll post pictures here.... only 1 other person in my club knows what it is, it may not be that shocking to some of you but it sure is daunting to me!

ps - did you send those tapes? i've only got a few weeks left now... if you haven't yet i wouldn't send all 20 if they are full because there is no way i can get all of them done now.

8. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

Uhh, wait i jsut noticed something. where i svanah Florida?

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

May battle is in Savannah, GA... on the east coast of the state. Gonna be a good turnout.

10. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Several hundred belows is a whole lot on the points board though!

Mike D

11. GregMcFadden

luckily, we generally don't count points out here... it tends to be ye who rules the water wins...

12. klibben

klibben Member

hmmm... i like that style.

counting holes is rather boring and mundane, i feel that whatever fleet has the most ships still afloat once everyone is off of 5 then they are the victor.

13. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I believe that's the format Treaty Combat is taking as well. Simply award sink points for ships that sunk, and that's that. makes a triple stern option look a little less appealing.

Mike D

14. GregMcFadden

yeah.. although we are going to try playing with full arming of primary turrets with bb cannons and see how it all settles out...

15. pew-pew-pew

pew-pew-pew Member

well ive noticed when i read the rules for warship combat that points are counted by # of holes. i as well think that sink points are a lot better and save people time which = more battles!

16. klibben

klibben Member

wait, in Treaty you can arm all your turrets?

17. GregMcFadden

No. that is one of a few things that keeps me from being interested in treaty...