35g Refillable CO2

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by SteveT44, Nov 4, 2011.

1. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

2. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Very interesting. That size bottle could handle a 3 unit cruiser and it would fit really nice below the deck on the Henri IV. And since the Henri IV is 3.5 units in Treaty, I really need something between a 12 gram adapter and a 3.5 oz bottle - which does not fit below the deck. Do you happen to know if there is a burst disk on the end with the plastic cap? If there is no burst disk, or other pressure release, we really can't use it.
    Also interesting is the R-tube adapter for 2 x 12 gram cartridges. It looks to be the same size and should be good for at least 100 shots.

3. SteveT44

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

You won't find a specific rule in any of the model warship formats against it. Yet all formats do have something basically stating follow CO2 (compressed) gas regulations. Even more to the point, if an accident happened from misusing a compressed gas cylinder then any insurance claims will be disapproved and the insurance company would probably have something to say to the club that allowed it.

I would not recommend it.

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

I think I'll stick with 12 gram size if I go with disposable since I know they are available locally. I think our rules require a pressure relief device on the high pressure side and I don't believe the pin valve functions as a pressure relief. Even if wasn't in the rules I would not want to refill any cylinder that doesn't have pressure relief. If you overfill the cylinder there is no way for it to vent. While the safety factor on the cylinder is probably enough to prevent a catastrophic explosion, I don't want to take the chance that it isn't strong enough.

6. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Here's what the Treaty rules say:
    "All refillable CO2 systems must have a manufactured pressure relief valve (e.g. rupture disk or equivalent) located somewhere on the high-pressure side."
    So if refilling one of the disposable cylinders, the pressure relief device would have to be added to make it legal.

7. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

The idea of using two 12 grams in a parallel setup has lots of merit.

8. SteveT44

As the 12g's don't have relief valves, this may be a way to skirt the relief valve issue with the 35g refillable cylinder.

9. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The pressure relief rule just applies to refillable cylinders, since disposable cylinders like the 12 gram ones are properly filled at the factory and will not over pressurize. If you try to fill a disposable cylinder you have just made it "refillable" and it needs the pressure relief.

10. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Also the disposable cartridges are almost impossible to burst. The 24g version is used in standard navy floatation jackets. They get thrown in metal lockers and stored out on deck. They survive middle east heat out there too.

11. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

What about this one: www.archerairguns.com/Avanti-Tank-p/avanti.htm adaptor on one end burst disk on the other, holds 2.5oz.

12. buttsakauf

All of those alternate refillable cylinders are cool but don't seem to offer any real weight savings. The disposable cartridges with an adapter seem like the lightest option. I would say that the lightest feasible option is an aluminum 3.5oz with an aluminum or lightweight on/off valve. It still weighs less than a pound when full.

On the Henri IV I was planning on affixing the bottom layer of superstructure to the deck and sealing it. Then I was going to rework the underside of the cross bracing at rib three to allow the bottles regulator to stick up under the focsle. Then the bottle itself will be poke up under the superstructure. I really think it'll work.

13. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

Mike - I think you have the right idea on placing a 3.5 oz bottle in the Henri. It will fit, but it would be nicer to have a smaller bottle to work with. The 2.5 oz bottle doesn't really save weight, but I'm more looking for smaller size than saving weight. Unfortunately, that 2.5 oz bottle is very long and will have its own installation problems. That 35 gram bottle looks really attractive based on size, and I would expect some weight savings as a bonus. Steve - is there any chance that the adapter on the 35 gram bottle has standard CO2 bottle threads so that you could replace the plain adapter with a valve and burst disk like this one? http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball...-off-valve Right now the twin 12 gram adapter looks like the best bet for what I need, but since I'll have 2 x 75 round guns, gas will be a little too tight for my comfort. By the way, where can you get 24 gram cartridges and are they threaded or plain?
    [​IMG]

14. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

The 24g catridges I have seen are all threaded. They are used in emergency bike tire inflators, so look for them in your local bike shop.

Carl

15. SteveT44

Mark, I don't think you can change the 35g refillable valve with a standard pin valve top. The valve on this tank is an on/off and that knob on the opposite end is what you use to open and close it.
    Looking around I found a cheap source of 35g disposables with 1/2" threads that would work with the Rock the Boat reg (medium thread option):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-35...35b408eca1
    These cylinders are from Leland gas in NJ. They appear to make every size disposable imaginable and appear to sell on eBay quite often.
    http://www.lelandgas.com

16. buttsakauf

Leland makes most of the ones I have seen in navy issue stuff. I believe the standard threads are 3/8" by 20tpi. There are many paintball adapters for that size.