3D Design/3D Printing/CNC Service - South Jersey Shipyards

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by bsgkid117, May 28, 2021.

1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I'd say it took about 26 hours of work at the computer to model everything out. And then it took two 3D printers running nonstop for 5~ days to print the hull and superstructure. About 15~ minutes for the CNC to cut the decks.

I would have needed to do roughly 20 hours worth of modeling to get the hull to a point where I could carve it to a plug using the CNC. I have done that in the past, see my thread about the USS wasp. From there, maybe 8 hours of work finishing the carving to make it a serviceable plug. From that point, maybe another 4 hours of work actually creating the mold. And a roughly equivalent amount of time laying down a single hull.

So let's say about 16 hours after the modeling time to get a single fiberglass hull. From there I would have to C&C cut the sub deck and decks, bond them into the hull provided they actually fit considering fiberglass shrinkage etc as it dries. I'd have to add the water channeling, bond the gearboxes to the hull, cut the bottom of the hull out for propeller shafts and re-glass them in place, etc. Let's not even talk about the wonderful joy of cutting out the windows.

All told, the 3D printed hull saves actual time that I have to spend in the garage working on the boat. When I started the day this morning I had the complete hull otherwise unassembled. At the end of the day today, after only spending about an hour and a half working on it, the hull pieces are glued and bolted together, it has super structure, shafts, decks that fit right first try. May very well have it operational before Monday.

If I wanted to make a plug, it would have been easy. Part of this is to try and innovate. See if this is something that is even worth doing. At the end of the day, it may have been a colossal waste of time. But maybe not.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

3. Mad_Modeller

Mad_Modeller Active Member

Thank you. Splendid work. looking forward to see how she does in combat.

bsgkid117 likes this.
  4. Keithintn

Keithintn Member

Would a Nagato superstructure be doable?

5. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Bsgkid, I sent you a PM..

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  6. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Hey all, I wanted a spot to create the list of hulls I currently have available/in the works/etc. Understand that I can take suggestions but I will ultimately defer to what hulls interest me the most. Example, I have no strong desire to model a Nagato when there are great Nagato fiberglass options and I also just don't want a Nagato personally.

Some disclaimers:

Version 1 hulls are "beta test" hulls. These hulls will be sold at material value + shipping. These are limited production runs, using everything learned from the previous hulls + their iterations. They will most likely be 100% functional, long lasting, IRCWCC legal combat hulls. V1 hull captains need to be willing to provide me with as much feedback/data as possible on the assembly process, how the boat battles, durability concerns, etc. At the end of the V1 testing process, V1 hull captains will have the option to get a heavily discounted V2 hull as my thanks for their help in testing the hull. V1 hulls contain the full kit V2 hulls would contain, including but not limited to:

Sectioned, 3d printed hull
    Full superstructure + turrets
    CNC 1/8 baltic birch plywood deck hatches
    3d printed "hardware kit" including rudders, drag discs, rudder and rudder servo gears, potting trays, and 3d printed propellers (which may or may not survive any real usage, but they will work for sea trials/sizing up the correct props for you to order)​

V2 hulls will be full fledged kits, printed part cost is using the calculator on this page, CNC wooden deck prices are highly dependent on the price of 1/8 baltic birch plywood at Woodcraft at the time of order.

Currently Available 3d Printed Hulls:

French Cruiser Suffren V2 (V1 2019-2021, battled @ IRCWCC Nationals 2020-2021) "rookie cruiser kit"
    3DP Suffren.png

SMS Von Der Tann V1 (currently have enough V1 testers for this hull, thank you)
    3DPVDT.png

HMS Malaya V1 (Ready for V1 testing. Shown @2021 IRCWCC Nationals)
    3DPMalaya.png

HMS Invincible V1 (V1 will be ready for production 11/28/22)
    3DP Iboat.png
    3DP Iboat2.png

FS Jean Bart V1 (currently have enough V1 testers for this hull, thank you)
    3DPBart.png
    3D Bart.png

FS Emile Bertin V1 (should be ready for production first week of Dec)
    EmileBertin3dp.png

FS Mogador V1 (first week of dec)
    3DPMog.png

USS Wasp, CV-7 V1 (first week of dec, second at latest)
    3DP Wasp.png

3d Printed Hulls in the Immediate Pipeline:

FS Danton (By request)

USS Pennsylvania (As-built, non-bulged) (By request)

1920 South Dakota Class (personal project)

image.png

HMS Edinburgh (Dec/Jan 2022-2023)

SMS Kaiser Class (Jan 2023)

While there are no warranties stated or implied with any of these offerings, I will say this. I have a reputation in the hobby as the guy who'd take his shirt off for you if you needed it. That means a lot to me. If you have an issue with something you've received from me, contact me and we will get you squared away. If a 3d printed ship is seriously damaged, I will work with you to either get you a replacement hull all together, or otherwise repair/replace the damaged sections. (That's the nice thing about a sectioned hull...if you snap a rib off in section 3 we can remove the bolts holding section 2->3 and 3->4 and then bandsaw section 3 right out of the boat). Superstructure components should be considered moderately consumable. You will lose pieces, you will have pieces take tons of BB fire and they may break. I have to let this happen to keep them light enough. Any 3d printed object I make, I can make more of for you. If your cruiser superstructure gets blasted to hell after 2 years of use, let me know and we will get you taken care of.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  7. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

That's might ambitious of you there, sir!

8. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I think I know who would want a Kaiser hull to test? ;)

diceman42 likes this.
  9. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Been having a productive holiday weekend hanging out in my motorcoach at the beach. Weather is a bit cold so we've mostly been hanging out inside on our laptops (the fiancee and I) which means ample time to work on 3d boats.

I updated the above list of ships with the progress I've made so far. My next two projects are to refit older models for printing, mainly Mogador and Wasp. Next up on my design list is SMS Kaiser.

10. Radioman

Radioman Active Member

I would be interested in the Wasp. Cost?

11. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I dont have a price on 3D printed Wasp yet. I will let you know.

12. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Some progress made on Wasp and Mogador:

3DP Wasp.png

3DPMog.png

These two are the dichotomy of the 3d printed hull library. The Wasp by FAR uses the most filament of any ship I can print, mainly due to the large superstructure areas that exist above the flight deck. Mogador I can print in 1 print in a day, if that. All 4 hulls I've worked on this week/weekend all still need some work, mainly the division into printable chunks and the addition of bolts/nuts to hold them together and potential reinforcing rods/stringer rods/etc.

Panzer and darkapollo like this.
  13. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I would love to see more detail on the progress you are making!!??

There are a ton of struggles on these hulls, and I’d love to compare notes!!

diceman42 likes this.
  14. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I admin a discord channel created for IRCWCC/fast gun model warship combat, but all are welcome. Pretty sure the join link is somewhere here on the forum. Feel free to @ me.

diceman42 likes this.
  15. JustinScott

Sure. I’ll try discord. Send me the info.

16. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

SHARK BAIT. OH HA HA.
    SHARK BAIT. OH HA HA..

17. JustinScott

?

18. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

diceman42 likes this.
  19. JustinScott